Implemented Speed relative to target & Projectiles velocity inheritance

Reaction score
    Just a simple idea.

So the problem is that during dogfights or just catching up with overheating ships you are forced to rely on distance change over time to guess your speed. This is not good and I suggest adding a way to show your speed relative to target.
    It would make boarding so much easier let alone it would also make dogfights less annoying.

The second idea is already done.

Last edited:

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Good idea on the first part.

As for projectile velocity inheritance, there's a config option that can enable/disable it, if I remember correctly. I'll give it a look once I get on my computer.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Good idea on the first part.

As for projectile velocity inheritance, there's a config option that can enable/disable it, if I remember correctly. I'll give it a look once I get on my computer.
    Does it work for rails also?

Reaction score
    Code:
    PROJECTILES_ADDITIVE_VELOCITY = true //initial projectile speed depend on relative linear velocity of object fired from
    Huh. You are right. The idea is implemented already then.

Reaction score
    Yup. That particular setting is just sorta hard to notice even when it's on in the standard game settings, 'cause the bullets from most cannon travel significantly faster than your ship can.
    (exceptions: ship falling into wormhole, Siege/hulk style guns)
    (Vanilla settings, from initial download are, what, 50M/s top speed, and 2Km sector size? yeah, 50M/s ain't much at all, though it does feel like it)

On significantly higher "speed" settings, like 300M/s, you start to notice the slight boost to cannons.
    (though I know of no servers running that high, and with good reason, bigger ships moving faster does wonky things to the game.)

And I fully agree with the first bit, we do need a relative velocity metric.
    (and to have the "Overheating" text float ABOVE the name of the overheating ship, instead of occupying the same space.)

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Code:
    PROJECTILES_ADDITIVE_VELOCITY = true //initial projectile speed depend on relative linear velocity of object fired from
    Huh. You are right. The idea is implemented already then.
    turning this thing off,I imagine it would be funny if you fired a nuke missile and your ship is a bit faster so you nuke yourself ahhahaha

Reactions: Waterphoenix
    Reaction score
    turning this thing off,I imagine it would be funny if you fired a nuke missile and your ship is a bit faster so you nuke yourself ahhahaha
    I'm not certain that you even can shoot yourself with your own missile.

I've been in many a fight where my rear-fired swarmers took long enough to turn around, that I was in their flight-path and watched the missles trail right on through me and hit the target.

It's creepy really. If it weren't for the color I use on them, I'd have long ago panicked and thought I was under assault from a stealth-ship.
    (and yes, I know that firing a weapon un-cloaks a ship.)

Reactions: SkylordLuke

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Implemented but bugged at some point, at least for missiles if not all weapons. I don't remember if it got fixed yet or not.

Reaction score
    I believe this option is not currently functional for tracking missiles. It would be wonderful if this was fixed.

Reactions: SkylordLuke

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Does this setting include sideways velocity too? I remember being severely annoyed by how it wasn't, but that was quite some time ago.

Reaction score
    Yeah, it's bugged. I have played around with all the settings to test it, weapons velocity is like light, it doesn't matter how fast you are traveling, the projectiles move at a set speed and never deviate.