Planned Sound improvements needed!

Do we need a sound update?

• No, its fine how it is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Remove sound because there is no sound in space and I want realism and cant mute my computer!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This game looks pretty good, with well built asteroids, planets, and some truly incredible community made stations. But what it really needs to make it an engaging and immersive experience is better sound. At the moment, the few sounds that are in the game are not very good, usually very quiet, can only be heard at a very short distance, and seem to bug out and cut off weirdly. And a ton of things don't even have sounds!
    I looked in the Starmade folders, and found a bunch of really cool sounds, but only one or two of them seemed to actually be in the game. While some of them seemed to go to things that might be hard to implement, I would really like to see some of these in the game, and more sounds as well.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There needs to be ambient noise, not just the buzz that the ship core provides. a light melody with a piano or something would do it.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i believe that Sound FX and music will be in the next major update or so. Schema is currently looking for ppl to contribute music and sounds

Reaction score
    About that 3rd option. Yes, there's no sound in space b/c there's no air...sort of. I hate to get technical, but lets say you fire a missile at another ship, it hits, and explodes. Yes, the ship that fired it shouldn't hear the explosion b/c there's no atmosphere between them. However, the ship that is hit (and more specifically, any on board astronauts) SHOULD hear it. Not because of the non-existent air, but because sound is a vibration and by being on the target ship, you'd feel the vibration of being hit, and the sound of being hit would be transferred to you through the frame of the ship. So yes, you absolutely would hear the hit, unless it was a distance from where you are. And the ship that fired the missile would, in theory, hear the missile be fired. Now I'm not saying that it needs to be that realistic, but if anyone doesn't like the idea of sound b/c its "not realistic", it is. It totally is. Just not in the conventional sense. /rant

Oh, and I know planets have atmosphere. But I'm just concerned with the misconception that there's no sound in space. Take that however you like. I'd be content with a simpler model of just everyone hears everything, but having the ship that's hit actually hear the explosion would be a big plus for me =D