Some suggestions to the community about posting suggestions

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hello all. Here are some things I believe we should all adhere to in order to have the most effective discussions possible regarding the game's advancement.

When posting a thread:

1. Keep in mind a variety of subjects have been discussed to the death before (Boarding, planets, balancing, shipyards, better AI, etc). No offense, but if you are posting a thread on any one of these things you most likely have nothing to contribute to the discussion, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. The community of Star Made generally sees a large amount of suggestions on a very small amount of topics.

2. Make sure what you are posting has not been suggested before. We have a forum search tool, and you can always type "Star made dock" followed by whatever you are posting into the google search bar. (Quote marks makes it so that google will only show you things with that specific phrase.)

3. Good grammar is imperative.

4. Try not to make it too long or too short. No one has time to pass the great wall of text, a ten word suggestion will most likely not get your point across.

5. Attaching a poll is always a good idea. Ever since we have lost the disagree button, there hasn't been a good way to quickly judge the community's reaction to the discussion.

When replying to a thread:

1. Read the whole post, or at least the tl;dr if there is one.

2. (I was a bit iffy about posting this, because it may be mistaken for discouraging healthy discussions) Don't hijack a thread with your own idea. I've seen this happen a lot, where someone posts how they think something should go down on a thread similar to their idea. I believe we should keep a thread limited to one idea, not several ones.

3. Keep an open mind.

4. Automatically assume everything is config editable. This is very important. Most ideas will not fit your playstyle at all, but it would probably be edited in the config anyways. If it enhances gameplay in any way, you should +1 it even if you would most likely not play on a server with it.

------
    Disclaimer: I am not trying to be a backseat mod, I just felt these are some things that the community should keep in mind when replying to/posting a suggestion. I apologize if it came off that way. Thank you.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    2. (I was a bit iffy about posting this, because it may be mistaken for discouraging healthy discussions) Don't hijack a thread with your own idea. I've seen this happen a lot, where someone posts how they think something should go down on a thread similar to their idea. I believe we should keep a thread limited to one idea, not several ones.
    You told people to search for similar threads first, then to not post their ideas in said thread? Are you implying people shouldn't bother with repeatedly suggested ideas or did you not plan this well?

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You told people to search for similar threads first, then to not post their ideas in said thread? Are you implying people shouldn't bother with repeatedly suggested ideas or did you not plan this well?
    I.... don't really understand your post. People should not post their ideas in someone else's thread, and should make sure to search up an idea before posting something about it.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I.... don't really understand your post. People should not post their ideas in someone else's thread, and should make sure to search up an idea before posting something about it.
    The idea of posting on a thread is the discuss the concept. If someone makes a thread about X, then someone who made a thread about it prior is allowed to link their thread, because not everyone will research everything before posting a respond. It brings back old opinions, faults, ideas, concerns, etc, that may not be brought up again this time around. Bringing up a 2nd thread that shares similar mechanics or goals is fine, as long as it relates to the OP.

It is also fine to post your own twist to an idea. Suggestions are not static, and while the original idea may not work (or is shit), someone posting their own spin on it is fine so long as the differences and Pros/cons are noted, and may even be better.

Suggestions are not critique. They are Discussions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    4. Try not to make it too long or too short. No one has time to pass the great wall of text, a ten word suggestion will most likely not get your point across.
    Reading a lot of the manifestos, they need a lot of words to articulate their points, and so do some suggestions. What qualifies for long is very arbitrary. I actually like to read. Also, the idea that long = bad is a misnomer for the most part also. If an idea is actually good people who actually care for the game will read it regardless.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The idea of posting on a thread is the discuss the concept. If someone makes a thread about X, then someone who made a thread about it prior is allowed to link their thread, because not everyone will research everything before posting a respond. It brings back old opinions, faults, ideas, concerns, etc, that may not be brought up again this time around. Bringing up a 2nd thread that shares similar mechanics or goals is fine, as long as it relates to the OP.

It is also fine to post your own twist to an idea. Suggestions are not static, and while the original idea may not work (or is shit), someone posting their own spin on it is fine so long as the differences and Pros/cons are noted, and may even be better.

Suggestions are not critique. They are Discussions.
    Well, you know. That's your opinion. Personally, I think that if someone wishes to post their own idea they should not do it in someone else's thread.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Well, you know. That's your opinion. Personally, I think that if someone wishes to post their own idea they should not do it in someone else's thread.
    But then you get the issue of dozens of threads with no real purpose but to indirectly debate with other threads. What's the point of searching threads before you create one if you're gonna have to create it anyways? Most idea's aren't just a straight copy/paste of each other.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    But then you get the issue of dozens of threads with no real purpose but to indirectly debate with other threads. What's the point of searching threads before you create one if you're gonna have to create it anyways? Most idea's aren't just a straight copy/paste of each other.
    I don't mean people commenting on suggestion threads. I mean, someone posting their own version of how they think the suggestion should work out. Then it becomes a multi-suggestion post. Debate is good and all, but sometimes it becomes thread hijacking and takes attention away from the OP.