Solved .sment ship download problem.

Reaction score
    I had a problem downloading a ship. it wasnt a .sment file, it was a bunch of folders. i think it might have something to do with windows in general. when i download, it comes up as an unzipped file. inside is a bunch of files labeled "attach" (which all have a turrets .smd2 file in it) 3 other files of a different file type, an .smbph, .smbpl, and an .smbpm, and a final file that has the ship's .smd2 file. as near as i can tell, the .smd2 files are kind of like entity files, only for blueprints instead.

i think the .sment file is meant to encompass ALL of these things into one single file. but for some reason, i think different versions of windows or even different computers entirely (like mac, pc, and linux) read the file differently, so some of them automatically extract the .sment file into its basic components. this would also explain why my personal designs also aren't in .sment form either. unfortunately, this makes the catalogue importer a bit useless since it only lets people import .sment files. anyway, i renamed the entire folder containing everything related to the ship to Shipname.sment. the import worked, but the file got slightly corrupted (i took damage entering the ship for the first time, and some of the turrets also took damage). but in the end, the ship was succesfully installed and was intact when i bought it.

i could be talking out of my ass with all the computer stuff, but long story short, if you have this problem, just rename the entire file with all the ship files in it (the one that includes the ship .smd2, the turret attachment folders, and the .smbpl, .smbpm, and .smbph files in it) to Shipname.sment . Until someone more tech savvy comes up with a better solution, this is it. i warn you that the file may become slightly corrupted, meaning when you spawn the ship, it may incur slight damage, and entering it for the first time might kill you. but otherwise, you should be able to spawn it in intact.

if you dont know how to install it after renaming it, here are the steps.

1.) plunk the .sment file anywhere in the starmade folder.

2.) start the starmade launcher. (click start game after it comes up)

3.) this should take you to an option menu. dont hit ok, this starts the game. instead, go to the top right of the window. there should be a tab labeled tools. click this, and go to catalogue manager. this will bring up the catalogue manager window.

4.) click import. this brings up a folder directory in the starmade folder. find and click on the .sment file for the ship you want. click import. if it works, it should show up on the list in the catalogue manager window. now, when you enter the game, open your catalogue, and the ship should be right there for you to spawn in.

i hope this was helpful.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Err... any idea how to do it on a mac? The .sment file doesnt apear at all in the ship importer, and I cant find a way to turn it into a folder and re-name it. Thanks!

Dr.Hexapuss

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey, I got it, I was using the wrong starmade folder, IDK where it came from, but the ships where in that one, and now I put them in the right one, and it works. seems mac doesnt have a problem with it, and makes me thik that it was developed on a mac. Anyways, it works! Going to try your tutorial on my (terrible) windows soon. Thanks!

Dr.Hexapuss

Reaction score
    ok, this renaming thing only worked for me once, and never again. trying to figure out what i did to get it to work that one time. since then, destroyed my harddrive, got a new one, now when i download ships, it comes in .sment format. anyway, im doing research. will update again if i figure this out. sorry guys.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I used Mac Stuffit Archive Manager to open the file. I grabbed the folder from the Manager window and dropped it into my blueprints folder. Worked fine for me. I also, as a test, downloaded the free stuffit expander and that worked too. just as a note, I don\'t think we should name a file with spaces. I think that messes with the /load command in SM. best to just use _ instead of a space. anyone else notice this?

Reaction score
    I had this same problem and tried everything. Finally I figured something out. When you download the file (and you dont get .sment, obviously) extract it. For example, I wil use a star destroyer. When you unzip it you should either get a folder titled Star Destroyer or a DATA folder, a .smbph, a .smbpl, and a .smbpm. If the ship has turrets you will also see folders titled ATTACHED_(and then a number). If you do not have a folder titled star destroyer you need to make one and put everything in it. If you already have a file titled star destroyer you are good. Now go into your Starmade folder. You should see a blueprints folder (not default blueprints). If for some reason it is not there, make one. Now, simply put your star destroyer folder in there and it will be in your catalog. If this does not work please tell me.