[SOLVED] BUG REPORT -- Mouse tracking issues (Very Erratic Movements) in Windows 8

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I am having major issues with my Client installation on my home desktop. I have gone through some troubleshooting steps and have determined that there seems to be a compatibility issues with Windows 8. It should also be noted that this only started happening yesterday (10/09/2013) and I'm not aware of anything that may have changed in that time.

Symptoms:

Whenever I enter the game, my mouse acts as per normal. movement tracking is accurate (Up, down, left, right) etc. As soon as I hit a movement key (W,A,S,D,Q,E), the mouse no longer reacts normally. Instead every slight movement in any direction causes my sprite to spin in circles, and then randomly will look up or down and continue spinning.

Troubleshooting:

1. Tried different hardware(mouse) on same machine -- NO AFFECT

2. Removed all Starmade files (including anything that was hiding) and reinstalled using fresh download -- NO AFFECT

3. Attempted rebooting the machine -- NO AFFECT

4. This particular step is very interesting to me ---> Attempted running client from Windows 8 & Ubuntu 13.04 Virtual Machines and connecting to server -- Same symptoms inside both virtual environments.

5. My work laptop (Windows 7 Enterprise) can connect to the server using the exact same files as are on my home computer.

Next Steps:

I'm going to rip out Java and try reinstalling it. I'm not sure why this would have affected a client instance running inside a VM though.

If Java reinstall doessn't work, I will attempt a fresh Windows Load today to determine if something unrelated is happening in my OS.

System Specs:

Z77 Motherboard with i7-2700K

8GB DDR3

Radeon HD6870

2x 120GB SSDs (Raid 0)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know some of these seem obvious or a bit silly to check but it is often the simple things we overlook.

I have a radeon HD 7500 series and have to use the Beta Drivers otherwise I get weird effects in Starmade, However others have found that using the beta drivers makes Starmade unplayable. So it is a gamble

Make sure there are no EMI/RFI sources near the mouse.

Make sure mouse emitter is clean if its a laser mouse or deadmouse.

Is it a wireless mouse? If so resync or double check the batteries

Make sure that there is only ONE java installed either the JDK or the Java alone, the JDK will install java and java tools. But often Java when you update say from 6.5 to 7.4 you will find both of them sitting side by side in Programs and Features (add remove programs) or whatever the hell they call it on windows 8 now :)

The fact that it happens in a VM , points to a driver or a Java issue, However VM\'s tend to use Virtual drivers that replicate/fake specific hardware drivers, So VM test can be iffy at best :) VM\'s normally use a copy of system Java unless they are good enough to come with their own Java pre \"installed\" but in that case the VM java is almost certainly out of date or worse they have the microsoft version of Java and not the Oracle version.

Unlikely but might be a mouse driver conflict - really unlikely unless you are using a \"gaming\" mouse or mouse with programmable buttons.

If I think of anything else I will post it here

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your response gives me a few things to play around with.

For GPU Drivers, I don\'t tend to touch them unless I find multiple issues. In this case Starmade is the only game having issues so I\'ll make this my last resort.

Mouse is wired, using a Corsair M90 with software from Corsair. Again there\'s no issues except in Starmade (I verified by testing Minecraft), though I will attempt reverting to generic Windows drivers and see if that works. I also tried another mouse (Wireless, from Logitech) and had the same issues... very odd.

VM I used for testing was through VMware Workstation 9, using virtualized hardware and a base install of Ubuntu 13.04. Installed OpenJDK Java, so that might have affected results... didn\'t think of that (Thanks).

Multiple Java installs: Found a culprit here, ripping out all versions and re-installing 7u40 from Oracle.

If that doesn\'t work I\'ll try the mouse drivers thing..

Thanks tonnes for the reply

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just to let you know Simian-Commander, I was able to solve this issue by removing all instances of Java and install only 7u40 from Oracle.

Thanks a lot for your help!