Smooth out AI weapon targeting [Minor suggestion]

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Currently, when AI shoots at something, it targets it and fires a little bit away from it to simulate inaccuracy. However, when it fires again it picks another random angle away from the target. For cannons, this isn't noticeable (and looks like a normal spread of fire) but with beams, particularly rapid beams, this looks really weird - the beam suddenly jumps from one place to another. I recommend that this be smoothed out, so that the beam (or cannon firing direction) just sort of waves around rather than jumping from one place within the accuracy cone to another.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i actually would recommend teaching the ai to aim a head and let the accuracy just represent the calculating accurany like 10 being the first digit after the seperator (comma in germany) and 1000 being a precision of 3 digits after the seperator... adjust as you please but that should be the general direction.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    i actually would recommend teaching the ai to aim a head and let the accuracy just represent the calculating accurany like 10 being the first digit after the seperator (comma in germany) and 1000 being a precision of 3 digits after the seperator... adjust as you please but that should be the general direction.
    It does attempt to lead shots - including on beams, resulting in lots of missing. This is a bug and will be fixed, though.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree with the OP. One option: The inaccuracy points could create a hidden bezier curve that the beam follows over time. (To avoid lag, the initial bezier curve probably needs to be pre-calculated, maybe during initial weapon building, and then updated with new points normally while the weapon is firing.)