Sleeper Bays

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The group that I fly with operates out of a large carrier/mothership. Our pilots store their ships inside the carrier and hang out around it. This works fine until someone has to log off at which point, they have to get in their ship and undock otherwise, when they return, they will find nothing but empty space and have no means to rejoin the carrier that has drifted further into deep space.

My concept is thus, add a new block, call it a deep sleep bay or something of the like. One player can align with the block and if they log off within range of the block, their respawn position only in terms of log in is attached to the position of that block rather then a fixed coordinate.

If the block breaks while the player is not there, either respawn back at their spawn, the default spawn, or where they first aligned to the block. Another posibility would be to make the block invulnerable/unremoveable while a player is 'inside' of it unless the ship core is overloaded. At this point, the block can be destroyed or overloading the core kills all players in sleeper bays.

Pros: Players with different schedules can explore space and still be grouped together.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like it. I wouldn\'t say make it indestructable, otherwise there could be problems with using the thing as armor (same problem sort of exists with faction blocks, but since they\'re not absolutely indestructable and are limited it\'s mostly fine).

But yes, this needs to be added. It would mean that relogging while on a ship isn\'t absolutely going to screw you over.

Reaction score
    Oh my god. I can\'t tell you how much Star made needs this, it would need to have a faction thingy so people can\'t break it. But i agree with MrNo, they have to have someway to not be used as armor, maybe it can be destroyed while a player is in it but it sends an admin a report about who destroyed it so admins can ban offenders.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why ban offenders? It\'s wrong to destroy a part of the enemy ship?

Really, if it gets destroyed, it should just send you to your normal spawn point. Of course, I\'m not totally opposed to giving them some armor.. Make them difficult to destroy. In addition to that, you could make a rule that they can\'t be within on block of each other, preventing complete covering of any surface of a ship (counts diagonals).

Reaction score
    good idea here, they could give em the armor stats of a faction module and limit them to one per ship

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with the basic Idea, but I don\'t like this way to implement it.

I would rather suggest a simple bed. It is rather cheap and only one person can use it at a time. When you enter it you can\'t move. You can only log out or leave it. The bed block has nearly no armor can can be destroyed easily, since it is easy to kill somone who is sleeping. If the block gets destroyed while you\'re in it, you just get killed the next time you log in.

That way it would be more realistic. It would also need your teammates to protected you, while you\'re sleeping. It would also solve the Problem of the block beeing used as armor.

SkyHawk024

Mandalorian ShipWright.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It will be a great help for me and my friends since we tend to be a bunch of per say (Smugglers like in Star Wars) venturing around every which way with a mother ship it would be nice!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love this idea. I\'d put one on my ship in a heartbeat. It\'d be so dang useful!

I agree with the \"low/no armor\" group. You\'re asleep. You\'re easy to kill. That way, a \"carrier\" could carry a LOT of pilots for flight crews.

Also, once this is in place, how far of a jump is it to having seats for crews?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I\'d go with limiting how close they can be to each other and giving them good armor, since pilots are (usually) considered expensive and a podlike construct ought to be easy to armor well. Maybe not as well as faction module, but certainly in thousands effective hp, for example 200hp with 90% armor. Could even space them 5 blocks apart or so to prevent armoring. Or just fix hardened hull and make it unappealing to use surrogates as armor. Then again hardened hull would break smaller ships further as they can\'t pack firepower... but that\'s a different story.

Sleeping people are easy targets I agree, but I\'d say it has to be a serious attack to inconvenience people since it\'s not fun to be a nomad if you end up having to make a 20 sector trip every now and then to your mothership (if you can even find out where it is at the time, other people might not be online at the time) because some random npc pirate got through the shields and landed a lucky hit.