Skinning problems.

Reaction score
    Hello.
    While I was making my custom skin, I didn't color in some of the colored areas, because they did not appear to be needed to colored in. When I went into the game with my new skin however, there were some oddly colored (though not very visible) streaks on places like the corners of my head, arms, and other areas.
    Do I need to color in these spots that are a darker colored area in the skinning resources?
    Thank you.

Reaction score
    yes you need to paint the borders, they are used when the skin is getting stretched over corners and stuff.

Reaction score
    yes you need to paint the borders, they are used when the skin is getting stretched over corners and stuff.
    Alright. Thanks.
    This helped a lot.

EDIT: A new problem has opened up. Now, whenever I use my skin, it has the words from the template such as "FRONT" or "BACK".

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I'm putting this here because edits do not show up as alerts, nor do they bump the thread.
    Basically a bump.
    (read my above post's edit)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Alright. Thanks.
    This helped a lot.

EDIT: A new problem has opened up. Now, whenever I use my skin, it has the words from the template such as "FRONT" or "BACK".
    Did you merge the template with the skin by accident, or save them as one image?

Reaction score
    can you upload the skin? it could be few things that you are doing wrong.

Reaction score
    Did you merge the template with the skin by accident, or save them as one image?
    I don't think I saved it as one image, when it asked me to save it in Gimp I saved it as a new image, I did so as well when I exported it to a .png.
    I'm not sure if I merged it either, but I didn't see the text on the skin in Gimp. I also checked to see if the opacity was at 100%, which it was.

can you upload the skin? it could be few things that you are doing wrong.
    I'd prefer not until I have no other choice.

Reaction score
    did you by any chance use the texture template as the emission texture?

Reaction score
    did you by any chance use the texture template as the emission texture?
    I used a default emission texture but it didn't have any text on it. The light/shading ones is what I used because I didn't know how to change these, and I just assumed it must have been the shading. These are the emission textures I used:

If I may ask, what IS the emission texture exactly?

EDIT:
    I managed to fix it, I guess I did put the template there instead? Well, thanks!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    the emission texture is used to control light, you can for example use it to make lamps or helmet glare by making the texture black and color the areas you want lit up with white. It can also be used to make shadows.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I also made my own custom skin (I couldn't find any that I really liked on the forums or anything), but I've been having problems with some kind of annoying graphical glitch showing up on the skin when I actually use it in the game. It looks like some kind of ugly smear or something, and it keeps showing up in the same places every time I modify the skin and upload the new (improved) version. I don't know why it keeps showing up, because the actual texture (the one I made) doesn't have these "smears" on it, and looks fine. I also don't think its a problem with my game, because it doesn't show up on the normal (default) skin, just the ones I make. Does anybody know what this might be, or how I can make it go away?

Also: I made this skin by editing the default skin texture using "Paint.NET" (if that helps).

Here's a pic of the "graphical glitch." I've boxed in the "problem areas", and drawn arrows to indicate where the "smears" are.
    Example of ''Graphical Glitch'' Further Annotated.png

Here is a section of the actual skin texture (that I made). You can use this to see how the above image was supposed to look.
    Example of What It's Supposed to Look Like -4x-.png

One particularly annoying thing about this "graphical glitch" is that it makes the "PREP" (my name) unreadable on the skin. :(

(Side note: "HOBOX" refers to the name of my faction, "HOBOX Enterprises," on the server that I play on)

...So yeah, please help me. I don't know a lot about computers or graphic design or anything like that so it could be something rather obvious (to those who do).

-Prep :D

Attachments

Reaction score
    it's hard to give support when don't have access to the textures you are using, but are there any chance that your skin resolution might be to low? also the missing light is a problem with your emission skin.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ummm... maybe... I remember when I would save a skin texture it would prompt me asking for the "Bit Depth." I didn't/still don't really know what that was/is, but I'm pretty sure I usually clicked on the highest choice (which was 32-bit). Is that what you mean? If so would that be the correct choice (the other choices were "auto-detect," 24-bit, and 8-bit)?

Also I could pm you the actual full skin textures (the helmet and main skin (emission + normal) if that would help. I just didn't want to take the chance of anybody else copying the image and using it (or a slightly modified version) for their own skin (no offence general public).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    PreparationsA-G
    Similar thing happened to mine, haven't tried to fix it yet. I think I actually accidentally moved the image around so the emission underneath is slightly offset, giving it a strange glow, but I haven't yet checked.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    The "smear" thing has occurred in all my skins, sometimes it's there and sometimes not. It might have something to do with how the game takes and renders the skins. Naturally you may find some strange happenings around the shoulders where there is a lot of bending. I think I have "8 bits per channel", which is what it defaulted to in photoshop.

Reaction score
    Ummm... maybe... I remember when I would save a skin texture it would prompt me asking for the "Bit Depth." I didn't/still don't really know what that was/is, but I'm pretty sure I usually clicked on the highest choice (which was 32-bit). Is that what you mean? If so would that be the correct choice (the other choices were "auto-detect," 24-bit, and 8-bit)?

Also I could pm you the actual full skin textures (the helmet and main skin (emission + normal) if that would help. I just didn't want to take the chance of anybody else copying the image and using it (or a slightly modified version) for their own skin (no offence general public).
    The bits you are talking about is the amount of bits used per pixel to create the color ranges, the resolution is your pixel hight and width. If you want I can take a closer look at your files if you send them to me, I won't use them my self so don't worry.

Reaction score
    yeah it seems like it's the games fault, when it up-scales the skin to the player model.