Single or Multiplayer better for new players?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi,

I and a few friends have played minecraft for 2 years now. It's time to find something new, and I recently found out about this game and checked it out. I already built my first ships in single player and watched the tutorials. I also managed to get shot by pirates, and got my revenge on them.

It seems to me that the most fun aspect/ aspect different from minecraft is the combat mechanics, because you can test what you built. On the other hand, "just building" something for asthetic value seems funnier in minecraft at the moment (understandable, since starmade is still so early in development).

I now wonder whether we should play for ourselves on a self-made private server (basically single player with a few friends) or join one of the bigger servers out there.

So I have a few questions about these two options:

In Multiplayer, is it possible as a new player to achieve anything? Will it even be possible for us to challenge players that are longer on the server and have therefore more stuff, or will it be like "I hope nobody finds me, for then I'm dead"?

In "Single Player", the drawback of course is that we have nothing really to fight as soon as we can defeat the first pirate station. I already read that Pirates can also use our own creations if we make blueprints available to them.

- Are there any good pages where people have uploaded some designs, because it would be boring if we already knew all their weaknesses. I saw http://starmadeblueprints.com/ but it seems there aren't many blueprints there as of yet

- Can you also make Space Stations available to Pirates?

- How are Pirate fleets made up? Is it always a uniform fleet of only one ship type, are they purely random, or is it "a few big ships, many small ships", or is this even configurable?

- Do those pirates randomly attack your station? If yes, is this attack force anyhow related to the strength of the station, or do the pirates just "randomly" fly against the space stations?

Already thanks for your questions,

Koreom

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Although for most games, I would advocate getting your bearings in solo, with this game, many players are willing to help you figure out how to play. Also, you have the chance of getting in a faction, where you will get the protection that comes with it.

Reaction score
    to begin in the singleplayer, finish the tutorial and watch a few beginner\'s guides on youtube.

most of these videos are very helpfull,

i always start on servers by placing a core to fly out into deep space. after i\'m at least 20 sectors away from spawn i begin to build a small salvager. The next thing i do is to find a station and mass delete it with the build block. (yep i know it\'s a bit cheaty but this is a good way to get some money for the beginning)

voila, as soon as you sell the glass and unwanted stuff at a shop you have some money for your first fighter.

BTW: Do the tutorial.

I can\'t stand people who don\'t know how to place a ship-core...(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, I already did the tutorials ^^.

Thanks for the answers so far.

Has anyone answers on the singleplayerquestions I asked?

Reaction score
    If your more interesting in design and building awesome ships you want to go on Single player since there is less of a chance another player will stumble across you and make you cry.

But if you want a challenge and don\'t mind being set back a few times then multiplayer is best.

The way I play however is starting off trying to get enough credits to purchase my miner, and then purchase something with some firepower (all my ships are built to hold the other ships so I have one fighter, and a miner on board my main battlewagon). This gives me a challenge on multiplayer since I am vulnerable until about 150k then I can run away better but am unable to fight until 500k and so on.

Choice is yours and your friends really. Why not go into deep space on a server, set up a small factory on an asteroid or planet. Just to see if you like that sort of play style, since you can always change it to pirate shooting.