Ship weapon suggestions

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Hello, I've been playing Starmade for over a week now, and made notes of possible additions to our arsenals in Starmade.

-Mass Drivers: You can't have a space game without the bread and butter of space based weapons in modern media, and that's the mass driver, or the rail gun. To sum up, the mass drivesr uses super conducting electromagnetic coils which pushes a metallic object through and fires it out with incredible force.

To make this work for Starmade, I suggest that instead of have a stacked mass of super conductor coil blocks, you instead build a ring, meaning that you need about 8 blocks (with a hole in the centre) to form a basic mass driver. Of course, this will be a very weak weapon to use, so all you need to do is extend the ring and form a cylinder, increasing the rounds power, range and speed. Building a cylinder with a large circumference could also make the round bigger. To offset just how powerful these weapons may be, I suggest that they not be capable of rapid fire and consume a lot of power each time they fire.

Kinetic Coil guns: Really, a smaller version of the mass driver, but works more like the AMCs, requiring ammo instead of power. This is a smaller alternative for use on smaller strike craft that can't mount mass drivers or the power generators needed.

Beam Cannons: These will be simple really, and work a lot like AMCs (Anti-Matter Cannons) in how you build and stack them, but fire a sustained beam in a straight line. Of course, I think they should be more powerful than AMCs, gaining power the longer they're in use. To balance this, using them for too long can overheat and damage the blocks, and they should have a higher power requirement than AMCs.

Swarm Missiles: This is a WIP idea, so it may not be the best, but still. These will be a much weaker alternative to normal heat seekers or guided missiles, but stacks increase the number of missiles fired, allowing you fire a cloud of missiles with enough stacked blocks.

These are just a few ideas, but I'd love to hear other people's ideas and their thoughts.