Ship Landings Slightly Broken

Reaction score
    I've noticed that when you land on a planet and get out of the ship it doesn't fall on its stomach like it should. By this I mean if the ship is tilted at an angle that would make it obviously fall on it's stomach with normal gravity, it doesn't. It'll go on the side. I've observed the way ships behave on planets by starting a new ship on one. The core never laid flat on the ground and would instead wobble around until you added a few blocks to make it flat on the ground. This is a problem. The ship also doesn't turn or curve when landing on something with gravity using your engines. When it hits the ground it doesn't flatten out, but just stays tilted or what not. This makes can make clean landing hard. I suggest fixing the physics for this problem.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The ship also doesn't turn or curve when landing on something with gravity using your engines. When it hits the ground it doesn't flatten out, but just stays tilted or what not
    Is this happening while you are in the ship?
    If so, the ship will try to orient itself towards the cursor.

Reaction score
    Is this happening while you are in the ship?
    If so, the ship will try to orient itself towards the cursor.
    Yes, I was in the ship. What I meant though is the ship should move when hitting something, and have the cursor still in the middle. You know how when you hit something in a game while in a car or something and the vehicle moves around, sometimes fling in the air or sudden change in direction or view, the camera seems to keep looking in front of you, but since the vehicle moved the camera moved without moving the player's cursor. Sorry if it just got more confusing. It's not a easy thing to explain with words. It's much easier with video.

But also that blocks don't exactly know how to be flat on a surface. Like I said, the wobble around. They don't flatten out and are easy to make roll even though you're on a planet. Squares shouldn't be able to roll. Wouldn't you agree =)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You should see what happens when you get out of the ship, mine stood straight up on its engines like it was ready for blast off.

This has been a problem for a long time now. Gravity on planets has always been kinda wonky. Best bet for now is to either dock you ship or put a stop module to have anti-grav. Should do the trick until they fix this problem.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Collision detection and physics has never been an easy topic in game programming, it's usually a trade off between accuracy and speed. My suggestion would be to leave it as it is at the moment and maybe change to a separate physics engine sometime in the future when the game is large enough or when the economic situation is good enough to afford a license for a good one. Unless the developer feels like spending lots and lots of time coding on the physics. I know there was soom good open source ones a couple of years back but that was for C/C++, not sure if they would work well with Java. Cheers.