Ship Internal Replicas - Post yours today!

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ship Interiors

Replicas for ship internal spaces from Science Fiction

Hello. So I was reading through another thread that discussed how shipwrights in another game can build detailed ship interiors, which we cannot do. I believe this is because that other game has more blocks (on the order of thousands!) than StarMade can muster.

I believe we can still create great replica ship interiors - at a massive scale. I believe a good starting scale would be 10:1, so a standard human would be about 17 blocks high. At this scale, one should be able to re-create a fairly detailed ship interior. Of course, this is just my recommended minimum scale. You may decide that you want to create something at 200:1 scale, so that a single block is the size of a console button.

You may decide to place a human-sized mannequin in the replica for reference. That would be fine.

I recommend posting these large interior builds under the space station section of community content, and let us see what you've made. I look forward to seeing your work.

Sample rooms:

Reaction score
    this looks like a fun challenge! that middle one looks pretty easy, minus the chairs. They need to make a chair block xD or some sort of really thin slab block. with that we could make shelves, tables, chairs etc. each slab could be one face of the block that you rotate thru like other block rotation options. or we may have to wait for more custom blocks from users and whatnot

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    this looks like a fun challenge! that middle one looks pretty easy, minus the chairs. They need to make a chair block xD or some sort of really thin slab block. with that we could make shelves, tables, chairs etc. each slab could be one face of the block that you rotate thru like other block rotation options. or we may have to wait for more custom blocks from users and whatnot
    Thanks! The biggest challenge for such builds will be lighting. Lighting doesn't propagate far enough in StarMade, so most "interiors" will tend to be very dark at a significant scale. (The middle of surfaces without lighting details will be the darkest.) Lights at this scale will be used to create small self-illuminating indicators rather than full-on room illumination.

The point I was making in my OP is that StarMade can't have all the various custom blocks that other block-based games do, so that's why I recommend scaling up, to make individual objects out of many multiple StarMade blocks to get the detail you need. Sure, you can get more detail with a custom texture sheet, but most players won't want to change their texture sheet to look at your build, so sharing your custom creation would be largely limited to screenshots and YouTube videos.