Ship Core Permissions (Create Blueprint/Create Design)

Reaction score
    Hi,

I like to trade and would also like to sell ships. Unfortunately the current system with blueprints and Shipyard makes me problems. If I sell a ship the buyer can produce a blueprint or a design in the shipyard without any problems.

Therefore, I find the following extension of Shipcore well.

- Create Blueprint disable/enable
    - Create Design disable/enable
    - Password (So you can prevent someone who does not have the password can disable these options.)

mfg

Reactions: haserd2

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    *joke* GPL greets (look at my signature). *joke end*

1. This system makes everything a property of those who are able to hack the files

2. It encourages those who give a shit about rules and those who rebuild block-for-block manually based on look or with a program that extracts block-data from videos (reverse-rendering).

4. It also prevents design updates by third parties after you left StarMade.

3. Lost passwords remove your ownership on it and lock your contribution to Shine staff only.

Thus it is a bad concept.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    *joke* GPL greets (look at my signature). *joke end*

1. This system makes everything a property of those who are able to hack the files

2. It encourages those who give a shit about rules and those who rebuild block-for-block manually based on look or with a program that extracts block-data from videos (reverse-rendering).

3. Lost passwords remove your ownership on it and lock your contribution to Shine staff only.

4. It also prevents design updates by third parties after you left StarMade.

Thus it is a bad concept.
    It doesn't have to be.

While I agree that blanket DRM is a bad thing, I think for the sake of in-game, player economy, ship designers should have a way to limit redistribution of their creations on a server.

This could be done as a per-server configuration option. You wouldn't be allowed to save a design to your blueprint library on the server, but could still download it to your local repository.
    If the server doesn't allow general blueprint uploads (in other words, only admins can add them manually), the interests of both sides could be respected.
    You would still be able to post to/download from community content, just the way you can ignore authorship now and upload another person's creation as your own, but only the original designer could create copies of that ship on that server.

This isn't a hard restrictions management, but I think it would help support a player economy on any given server.

Reaction score
    NeonSturm You got me, I think, misunderstood. These functions should be only on server level and not in exporting blueprints. Default is the option off and when it is exported as a blueprint, of course, the password should be removed.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Still, password is a bad concept. Check the authorship with the StarMade registry account and a stored Username, or manage it by registering a Username on that server.

Reaction score
    Still, password is a bad concept. Check the authorship with the StarMade registry account and a stored Username, or manage it by registering a Username on that server.
    Don't be so dogmatic ;)
    Again, it depends on the context.

A password is a simple concept from a usability standpoint as well as in implementation, and it allows the ship's designer to easily give access to different people, or groups of people, without any control over what happens after.

Checking against the registry requires a third party site outside the player's or server owner's control to be continuously available, which gives that site control over what you can do on your server, and if done wrong, could introduce more vulnerabilities than it is worth. Lookups may also introduce latency.

This is not about access to your OS, or 'failsafe' protection of government secrets (which we all know doesn't work anyway). Sometimes a simple concept is just good enough.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ok, then register your username additionally on the server. Double-safety with 2 passwords. Fallback if the registry is inaccessible.
    You said they are easy to use, now I want that `(*._.*)´