Ship core needs changing

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Frankly, the curren't setup for the ship's core is rather uninspired. Not only does it make building large ships difficult, since you have to plot it's exact center of gravity, but it also limits combat. Space combat isn't so much about fancy flying or tacticaly attacking your opponant, rather than it's just pointing your nose at the enemy and tunneling untill you hit shipcore.

Sometimes when playing this game I think back to "Star Trek Bridge Commander"

With that game just shooting until you hit the enemy's heart just wasn't effective. You had to deal with the other aspects of the enemy first if you wanted to survive, like taking out weapons, engines, sensors, etc. Perhaps there should be a tool or special block that would define the center of gravity, and other kinds of blocks to act as vital points on a ship like computer nodes, or power clusters. Such blocks would have to be restricted in some way so they couldn't be abused.

Perhaps shielding could be made a bit more elaborate. Instead of just completely failing, maybe it could be seperated into the 6 sides surrounding the ship like in Bridge Commander. That way players would be forced to actually manuver in combat.

What do you think?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I very highly agree. Most of those ideas being implemented would make combat a LOT more enjoyable. Star Trek Bridge Commander had a very good way of forcing players to use tactics rather than a massive of guns, and something similar to that in Starmade would be incredible.

Reaction score
    And let me just add to this thread real quick, there should be a radar block, and the radar signature on ships should simply not point at the ship-core, it should point at the center of dimensions.

Honestly though, I\'m ALL FOR any suggestion that does a good job at taking the attention away from the core, and forces players to actually attack the systems, like weapons, thrusters, power, etc.

I think we could all agree that as long as \"Core Drilling\" is a viable tactic, then combat will just be stale.

Reaction score
    Just as suggestion,what about just adding an computer for every device and giving it a radar signature?

There already are weapons computers why not thruster computers and energy computers?

If the computers wouldnt be build directly around the ship core you would have something different to aim for.Of course an actutal wiring system would be far superior but it seems to be a good solution for the start.

Additional all computers would need to be destroyed before the ship gets unusable (it might still overheat or get salvaged if the ship core is destroyed but until the explosion it could still be used)