Ship Building Tips

Reaction score
    I'd like to create a thread that is a compilation of tips and tricks for building. Whatever you'd like to share, do it here. Whether you're an expert on game mehanics, or ribbing ships, building reactors or zen gardens, share your tips here!

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    The most important tip I have ever been given is to take inspiration from great designs. Making things 100% from your own imagination is definitely cool, but it\'s still only your imagination. Maybe someone else\'s imagination came up with that one detail that would fit your station perfectly. Searching up \'Spaceship concept art\' is a good way to find inspiration or seek new building styles you haven\'t seen or tried out yet.

Second, learn the value of docking things to your capital ships. Turrets, reactors, drone ships, shield plates, torpedoes... Heck, I haven\'t seen anyone else make a customizeable \'utility\' dock on their ships for putting on salvage lasers or drain beams or whatnot.

Reaction score
    I have spent most of my time on starmade simply building, and I think i can afford to pass on a few tips that I have/used in the past. Biggest being dont be afraid to build what ever you want, dont let others tell you how to build your ships, sure taking advice from others helps, but if someone says that a part of your ship is bad, go build it like so and so does, then just ignore them. its your ship, build it however you damn well please.

as MrFurb has stated looking for concept ideas for what your building or trying to decorate is a good thing to do when you low on ideas, a few of my own creations have been based around ideas or concepts that someone else has tried to do.

Dont be afraid to ditch a ship that just isnt working for you, save it as a blueprint so you can work on it later if you really need to. i have heaps of ships that i have never finished but are stored as blueprints so that i can work on them at a later date should i ever want to.

Be very mindful of what direction your ship core is facing when you go to build it, so many people have built their ships backwards and its not fixable, unless you use something like a 3rd part editing program like SMEdit (i think thats what it is called, if not someone in the public chat should know) Also dont forget you can build with ABM (Advanced Build Mode) and also you can use symmetry to build your ships just that much faster.

Also dont be afraid to try something new, the game is about endless possibilities and is always changing and evolving, so there is no reason why you cant evolve as you play the game, so go on, go out there and have fun, build ships, ruin other peioples ships. I shall try and add more tips if i think of more. so have fun guys.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    but I can say something about circles, unless you are making something you think is going to be awesome, circles arn\'t really the way to go. But if you do make circles, use this; https://donatstudios.com/PixelCircleGenerator

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Master Builder Bronze
    -when you want to draw attention to glowing parts of the ship, use contrasting colors, especially dark colors around the glowing areas

-When you want to fill out the shape of a ship, surface detailing helps enormously if your ship surface is flat.

-If something looks like its missing something, turrets sometimes can fill out extra bulk to balance the ship.

Reaction score
    Make your exit doors face backwards it allows you to deploy on the move on servers with physics dampening

Reaction score
    I\'ve just started building my first ship after discovering this game a couple of days ago. Obivously I\'ve started big lol. Just because I want try out some features. Not tested any of this yet. I\'m assuming people have tried all this stuff before me but I\'m still having fun. I\'ve managed to find optimal power core configurations so that was a good start. I\'ve got a couple of useful turret designs as well. The main dock will have a planet lander and cloaked scout ship. I\'ll also keep some replacement fighters for my dock. I\'m thinking of creating some kind of missle broadside capability as well for giggles.

I\'m looking at creating what I call reactive armour. Armour plates with repair beams behind them on those essential parts and the shiny bits people like to shoot at.

I\'m also going to dock a fighter dock within the ship. As you can only assign bobby AIs to 9 keys and I need weapons on my main ship, so I need more keys. So if I can quickly drop my main core, log on another, kick 9 drones out on one side, scoot across drop another 9 and then pick up main ship control again that would be cool. Especially if I can interweave builds so they\'re all in the bridge. I\'ll probably use the offline editor to see what I can get away with with ship core placement. If this is possible you could have a real carrier that drops an AI swarm.

The one that I\'m struggling with conceptually from a personal safety point of view is deployable mines with explosive block thingies. If I undock a ship conneced to a sizeable mine I may trigger it. Plus it will have to be exposed which isn\'t great.