Ship building question

Reaction score
    So it seems the game balance needs some tweaking still. So in pvp it would see the biggest blocked shaped ships are the best in design due to the mechanics of block placement and efficiency. If you wanted to build a nice looking ship it will not be as effective as a giant cube.

Will this change or am i understanding block mechanics?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    No one respects a PvP ship that's a big death brick. The only time having blocks so clustered together is even slightly acceptable is when the ship is drone sized. Any ship bigger than 100 meters in any direction really should have some sort of interior. A flight deck, maybe a crew quarters. A juice bar. Something other than wall to wall blocks. Yes, 1 kilometer long death bricks exist. They are used by griefers and trolls. And these days such ships are so ingloriously time consuming to gather parts for no one bothers anymore. Most admins kick someone like that right off their server anyhow. No explanation required. -POMF- Banned.

There are some very well made ships out there. Great attention to detail, good mix of systems and usability. That's what most designers strive for. It looks nice and does the job it was intended for and does it well. The secret is literally thinking INSIDE the box. Use compartments to keep one set of blocks from another. Don't just spam shield blocks everywhere. Put them in a specific place and leave room to add more if needed. Any good ship should have room to grow. That way the player who uses it can tweak it or re-purpose it. It's the same with any module really. If you're really sharp you can set up weapons with those 'sweet spot' ratios which are easy to swap out by the player.

There is the middle road tho. Several of my own ships follow a basic design idea that's really just a housing for tightly packed systems while allowing for some sort of internal space. The drawback with this concept is two fold. They look brickish. And there's no room to expand without disrupting the hull.

A well made ship should have space internally to change or upgrade/re-balance and look SO nice that you do everything and anything to avoid disturbing the silhouette.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    ^what modalinsky here said. Basically, on most servers, doomcubes are banned on sight no matter if it's a build, RP or battle server.

Essentially, the community sorted it out before the developers had to.

Reaction score
    The server you are on will have an impact on ship construction methodologies.

More blocks will always = a better ship*

* as long as the builder knows what they are doing

On the PVP point...
    If you are on a survival server that does not allow for blueprint usage, it is quite an accomplishment building a "death cube".

All in all I think you get the idea... Form and Function are the way to go. Any noob can build a cube ship.

-Runeseer

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    This thread makes me want to build a gigantic cube ship... with a full interior and massive amounts of detail.

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A cube ship will have a disadvantage turning against a ship that would fit inside it but is thinner or shorter. I have seen time and again form designed ships royally trounce function designed cubics of the same mass. Its all in mass distribution and system design. Got the heaviest heavy missiles? Cool. I've got ion cannon for your shields and a 144m diameter crater or five for your densely packed systems. Oh, and those big pretty corridors on my ship? They cost me very little mass and serve as a buffer when big missiles hit.

Cubes might look OK to someone who has no idea, once you learn the truth you no longer want to build one.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Up until 'very' recently I thought much as do you, that cubes reigned supreme. But then I was set straight, by many people over the course of days. It took me a long time to really grock what they were saying, but then I put it to the test and built several sample power arrays. Here is the crux. Yes, a cube structure can be very efficient for generating power, but for the same number of power blocks, so is 'any' shaped rectangle if you build your power lines properly. Moreover you need not be constrained to rectangles, you can do the same with wedges, pyramids, etc.. A little bit of imagination can permit you to get every bit as much power into a non-cube as you could get from a nested cube.

Yes, a cube is slightly more efficient when it comes to hull materials, but that only really matters if you are trying to build a permacloak. The cube does have the massive downside already mentioned in this thread. If you run into someone chucking large damage pulse missiles, the cube has conveniently packed all of it's vitals tightly into one space, a sitting duck for big holes. A longer, more spread out ship, especially one with 'roleplaying' space, will loose much less from such attacks.

Reactions: Runeseer and Lidren