Ship Building in Dry Docks

Reaction score
    I think it would be very cool and also more realistic and harder if ships could only be built in a 'Dry Dock' and that these docks can be of variable size to accommodate the building of larger ships. Using a system like this will make people become more selective in where they build their ships and help to control how big a play can build and so they can not just spawn a new ship in the middle of a battle.

My idea for doing this would be having to place two 'Dry Dock' blocks a distance away from each other but on the same plane parallel to an axis. When activated, these blocks will place and securely hold a ship core in place for building. The dock would also have a mass limit meaning ships could not get to large without them falling off of the dry dock,this can be upgraded. To build off of some idea in the most recent Q&A, these blocks would also be usable for ships to dock to normally and then be repaired over time (With out astro-beams).

There are some possible problems with this, one of which is being marooned in deep space or planet. My solution to this is having an 'emergency pack' which will spawn a small mobile ship just used for traveling. Another problem could potentially be that the size of ships will become more limited, some people may dislike this so having there be a configuration on whether you NEED to use Dry Docks should be available.

All in all the Dry Dock is meant to increase the difficulty in the game and make players slow down and think about where and how they build.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like at least a game-mode (server-setting) with:
    • a single core only : does not need any dry-dock
    • 20x20x40 dry-docks only need as much blocks as you want to build in the ship.
    • 100x100x200 dry-docks require twice as much blocks as the ship.
    • 500x500x1000 dry-docks require four times as much blocks as a ship.
    Because it would give new players a better chance and sets some standards for ship-sizes.

But I would try to exploit trick with this system using docking mechanics to get a bigger ship with a smaller yard if the yard is the expensive part.