Shield recharge power cost

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I have noticed that having shield regen blocks on your ship continuously eats power even if your shields are 100% and not in combat, is this intended or a bug? If it is intended does it display how much power a second it requires to run?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    It's most definitely a bug since it wasn't at all announced in the changelog. Well, there's actually a high chance that it's intentional since only 5% of balance changes make it into the changelog, with the rest being left to players to find out :D

Seriously though, balance changes should really be documented better since we can't even tell if this is intentional or not...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Depends.

It sounds stupid that we would need to continuously recharge shields once they are up. But then maybe a SMALL energy cost could be implemented for 1-5% value of the total Shield Charge as a cost of keeping your shields up in the first place. Sort of like a system management cost, so you can't have 20 million shields without having to sacrifice some of your hard-generated energy to create an impregnable fortress.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I tried changing the constant drain to a fraction, and it turns out it's an int so we can't do that. :(

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Just a bug with some ships built before update. Not sure how to fix it though.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Depends.

It sounds stupid that we would need to continuously recharge shields once they are up. But then maybe a SMALL energy cost could be implemented for 1-5% value of the total Shield Charge as a cost of keeping your shields up in the first place. Sort of like a system management cost, so you can't have 20 million shields without having to sacrifice some of your hard-generated energy to create an impregnable fortress.
    It's not stupid. This is the right idea.

It'd be stupid that we'd get free shielding once they were fully charged. Does a cell phone retain full charge permanently or does it drain over time?

"BUT COMR4DE, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT AN IMPENETRABLE SHIELD BARRIER THAT BLOCKS ALL DAMAGE, NOT A CELL PHONE!"

EXACTLY. At the very least inactive power consumption needs to be 25% of the active charging power consumption. I'd be happier with 50% but the buttblast from this community might create an analblackhole

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Well, regen and capacity are separate now. So, shield upkeep should depend on actual current capacity. Shield regen could be toggled off or blocks removed, but you still have the upkeep drain regardless. Combat regen, if we have it, could be turned off if you don't want to spare the energy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's not stupid. It'd be stupid that we'd get free shielding once they were fully charged. Does your cell phone retain full charge permanently or does it drain over time?

"BUT COMR4DE, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT AN IMPENETRABLE SHIELD BARRIER THAT BLOCKS ALL DAMAGE, NOT A CELL PHONE!"

EXACTLY. At the very least inactive power consumption needs to be 25% of the active charging power consumption. I'd be happier with 50% but the buttblast from this community might create an analblackhole
    Learn to read. You're treating me like an idiot, then agreeing with what I said in the next sentence.... or are you just trolling?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I wasn't bashing you in particular. Unwad your panties. Edited for clarity.