Sharing storage between different faces of a planet?

So, what do you think of this problem?

• Not a problem. Git gud.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • It's a small issue but there's a workaround (please specify how)

Votes: 1 16.7%
    • It's borderline a bug and should really be fixed to make planets more viable/useful

Votes: 2 33.3%
    • It's a bug, that can't be the desired behaviour for planets. Planets should be one whole entity.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • Only a n00b would build on a planet. Build a space station or gtfo.

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Or other master/slave relations etc.?

Hi there. I love playing on planets, especially after getting rid of any lag with some of the tweaks. I find a space station a bit more "boring" as you have no restrictions and can build pretty much anywhere (in any direction etc). That's cool if it's what you're after but I've been getting great pleasure from building my stuff while trying to maintain the planet's "character", go around and preserve its main features and contours, that sort of thing.

Anyway. Problem is: Building a shipyard that could manage a decent-sized ship. I ended up doing it, albeit in a different face of the planet from where the rest of my stuff is. After everything was built... I've found that I can't seem to link anything from one face to the other? It seems like the game considers each face as a distinct entity? Having all storages and factories in one place and a shipyard in another seems to only add to the grinding of building a medium to largeish ship.

Then to my last demise it seems like the faces don't share power either?

So in the end you're not really building your faction home on a planet. You pretty much have to build it on one face of the planet only?

Disclaimer 1: This is just a continuation/expansion of a steam thread I had posted earlier.

Disclaimer 2: I like polls :)

Now that I've spent several days of building stuff, any help or ideas to savage any of it are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Planetary plates are distinct entities. Turn on Planet Segments in your nav computer and you'll see that they are all basically "docked" to the planet core. When you destroy a planet, all you're really doing is destroying the core, the plates then fly off and become mammoth asteroids.

There is talk from the devs for ways to move materials between entities, so it might become possible in the future, but still. Build a station. :P

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I voted workaround: You can work around this limitation by expanding under the surface of the planet. Build the base in the primary plate. Then start digging underground on adjacent plates, large enough, so that you can go back to the primary base and expand the building into the space created when you dug out the secondary plates. You still get the character of those plates on the surface, but your base on the primary plate is now able to reach out around the planet core, underneath the surface of the planet. (Unfortunately, gravity will seem weird as the base becomes effectively a box around the core, and the players have to climb vertically to get to the top of the base or down to the lower levels. But for this workaround, that's just how the continent crumbles. As long as the base is fully enclosed around the sides, it won't seem too bad.)

I have not tested this theory. This may "break" the planet and cause adjacent plates to break off from the core and drift off into space.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I voted workaround: You can work around this limitation by expanding under the surface of the planet. Build the base in the primary plate. Then start digging underground on adjacent plates, large enough, so that you can go back to the primary base and expand the building into the space created when you dug out the secondary plates. You still get the character of those plates on the surface, but your base on the primary plate is now able to reach out around the planet core, underneath the surface of the planet. (Unfortunately, gravity will seem weird as the base becomes effectively a box around the core, and the players have to climb vertically to get to the top of the base or down to the lower levels. But for this workaround, that's just how the continent crumbles. As long as the base is fully enclosed around the sides, it won't seem too bad.)

I have not tested this theory. This may "break" the planet and cause adjacent plates to break off from the core and drift off into space.
    I build underneath planet segments all the time. Really it is just a big empty space, just begging to be criss-crossed by powerlines.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

Ah, that's quite clever. First time I read your post I thought "that won't work, I've tried that". But on a second read I got what you meant, and indeed I haven't tried to first dig the other plates from underneath, that is before trying to cross that "gap" between the plates. I'll experiment a bit with that, even though I don't think I'll manage to save my shipyard. I could have the computer and the storage on the same plate but the modules will always need to be on another -- and they need to be above the surface...

Reaction score
    When I was starting out I had these big grand plans for a planetary base but It's basicly a pain in the ass and not worth the trouble, because of the caveats the others have mentioned.
    I did hollow out most of a plate and made a huge underground hangar with entrances extending through neighboring plates, but I wasn't happy with the results.