Shaping help

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been a huge fan of ships made in the V design, for instance the spaceships of star wars such as the Imperial Star destroyer ( Minus the bridge ) other ships such as the Republic Cruiser. Though I have no idea how to make the hull shape.

It seems simple but there is a cetain "art" to making the hull and sides look good and I lack that knowledge.

So! When all else fails? Ask the ship building masters of the forum!

Reaction score
    Download a few star destroyers off the dock, mess around with them, and see how those guys did it. A lot of it comes down to experimentation.

I've found a ratio of 3 blocks back for every 1 block over usually gives me a good start

Reaction score
    The box should be 1.618 cause, Egypt. In all seriousness I'd play with very basic hall designs. Same as above. Personally I'm more for organic carapace look so I don't mind doing 3 then 4 then 3 then 4 then curve it with 2s. But you may find the right pattern. Then just copy and past that pattern. Also remember slabs can look better then wedges for getting the look/grain

Reaction score
    I've been a huge fan of ships made in the V design, for instance the spaceships of star wars such as the Imperial Star destroyer ( Minus the bridge ) other ships such as the Republic Cruiser. Though I have no idea how to make the hull shape.

It seems simple but there is a cetain "art" to making the hull and sides look good and I lack that knowledge.

So! When all else fails? Ask the ship building masters of the forum!
    Modelling it outside and importing it would be easiest...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Modelling it outside and importing it would be easiest...
    I never thought of doing that and I don't think I have the tools to import and what not. Do you have a link to a guide to doing that? Thanks for the reply everyone.

Reaction score
    I never thought of doing that and I don't think I have the tools to import and what not. Do you have a link to a guide to doing that? Thanks for the reply everyone.
    You'll need some CAD software to create the model (say SolidWorks, or Rhino, or one of many others - unless you can find a model already created) and Binvox to change the model to .binvox, then Vox2sm3 to change the .binvox to a folder you can drop straight into your SM install.

Last edited: