Implemented Seperate Station Limits & Ship Limits

Reaction score
    ...The title is pretty self explanatory, server owners cannot set a mass limit right now due to the mass limit affecting stations. The server option needs to be split to allow a ship classification system without prohibiting stations from falling under this server option. Lets face it....Stations are almost always bigger than the ships docked to them.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'm genuinely surprised that the setting isn't already an option. Having stations be limited at the same mass as ships really sucks tbh, since stations are usually much larger.

Reaction score
    Unless it is bugged...
    GameConfig.xml said:
    XML:
       <ShipLimits>
         <Mass>1000.0</Mass>
         <Blocks>100</Blocks>
       </ShipLimits>
       <PlanetLimits>
         <Mass>50000.0</Mass>
         <Blocks>2000000</Blocks>
       </PlanetLimits>
       <StationLimits>
         <Mass>5000.0</Mass>
         <Blocks>500</Blocks>
       </StationLimits>

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    Actually I only have one option its a total mass option
    You should be able to add the <StationLimits></StationLimits> part by hand, but it's actually a known issue; however that has reportedly been fixed in October. Is your StarMade up to date?

PS.: You have to remove the "<!--" and "-->" around that block too, otherwise it's commented out and won't do anything.

Reaction score
    Yessir, I'm even using the new client which is why its weird that its not showing up

D

Deleted member 433088

Maybe some configs remain unchanged when you have an old installation and update; I came back to the game a short while ago, with a full reinstall, and I certainly have those options, albeit commented out, in my GameConfigDefault.xml.

Reaction score
    Maybe some configs remain unchanged when you have an old installation and update; I came back to the game a short while ago, with a full reinstall, and I certainly have those options, albeit commented out, in my GameConfigDefault.xml.
    Not maybe, definitely.
    GameConfigDefault.xml said:
    IMPORTANT: to change the config, please edit ./GameConfig.xml, and NOT ./data/config/GameConfigDefault.xml
    as that is only a template that gets copied on first startup, so a server's config doesn't get replaced on update.
    Any new features of this config will have to be copied over manually first

Reaction score
    I have to agree the configs must be the issue. Will try to delete and re-download mine and just keep a backup copy to see if that fixes it. If it does I will post that here.

EDIT: Correct! Add in the values and they seem to work fine. Or if you have trouble, make a copy of the config, and delete the config. Then change the version.txt file in the starmade directory to versionOLD.txt. Re-run the launcher and Update like normal. Then reset the config to how you like.

Last edited:
    D

Deleted member 433088

Not maybe, definitely.
    Oh man, I really have to read the commented parts more closely next time, I keep forgetting not every config is in the Data folder :D

For what it's worth, my "proper" config file also has those same options, commented out, so yeah, definitely an update issue... maybe the launcher should remind us to check the new config files when they're changed, hahaha!

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    maybe the launcher should remind us to check the new config files when they're changed, hahaha!
    Usually there's a note in the update announcement when something like this gets added. Having a hint in the launcher probably wouldn't hurt either (I don't use the launcher so no idea if that's already there).