Scripting / central exchange

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I know scripting is coming, in one form or another

This is my thoughts on the subject (may be too much work to implement but its only a suggestion):

Scripts should be represented by a physical item in game similar to a logbook.

programmable objects should have an inventory for the scripts to be put into.

item would have a few object specific state related slots as well as general purpose slots, for example the Bobby AI module would have : Attacked, Idle ,Activated (from activation block etc.) slots so when an active Bobby AI ship is attacked the Attacked slot script would be called
    scripts should be able to make calls to other scripts in the items inventory, and if linked to another programmable block, call functions / send + recieve data from that blocks scripts as well.
    Sound files could be uploaded to a server and be a similar to a script item and be put in an items inventory and played from a script in the item( need to be able to limit file size/format to prevent large cd quality audio files causing massive server disk storage /memory over load / lag)
    NPCs could also have a script inventory to script their behavior

scripts should have a permission system so authors can set them as not editable if they wish to

Pros:
    scripts would be a trade item.
    player shops would be able to sell the scripts, promoting good scriptwriters to set up shops to distribute their work to those that cant script
    scripts could be uploaded to a central repository like blueprints can be now
    custom sound effects controlled by user scripts

Cons:
    major redesign of existing blocks to be scriptable this way, possibly adding too much data to the block to be viable across the network
    script with sound files could be major source of lag
    being able to sell scripts may impact the free distribution of scripts

Central Exchange

although this is separate from my script idea its related so ill post here instead of yet another thread
    (i think i read some where something similar was already planned but ill sugest it anyway)

i think there should be some way for starmade servers to trade with other servers
    linking from sever or client to the citizen registry to access the content in game
    a separate section could be setup for trade between servers so players could upload blueprints, scrips and sound files for sale that could be accessed by other servers
    this central exchange could have a credit storage system, that would address the issue of a banking system many players seem to want, players could transfer some credits from their server to the central exchange
    to save up for purchase able items /keep safe from losing on death
    connection should be made client side to the central exchange so its player account specific connection.

Pros:
    inter-server economy could be possible (when proper server economies become truly viable)
    prolific scriptwriters /builders would be encouraged to distribute their work to a wider community if there was a way to profit from their efforts
    community competitions could be organised with prizes put directly into a players account so its available through the players exchange
    coupled to one of the shipyard ideas blueprints that cost more than the current credit cap could be purchased with credits in the exchange , then built in the shipyard without needing admins to spawn them

Cons:
    a lot of coding work to implement on both starmade site and starmade game code
    could hinder the availability of free content
    may cause issues for the starmade site with so many simultaneous connections on top of the existing ones

Any comments / criticism welcome :P

Reactions: Yaodin

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sounds like a really neat idea, actually... Not sure how well it would work though.

Reaction score
    I really like the idea of being attacked launching a script cause then you could have an under attack alarm.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the idea of selling (access to) scripts, but not the ability to mark them as non-editable.
    Non-editable would work better for finished constructions (such as ships) with these scripts inside.

Sold drones for example would give the game more details.

Not sure if it is desire-able though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    the non-editable idea was just a quick thought towards a form of protection for script authors,
    if scripts have a value you wouldn't want someone under cutting you with a copy of your own script

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    the non-editable idea was just a quick thought towards a form of protection for script authors,
    if scripts have a value you wouldn't want someone under cutting you with a copy of your own script
    Yes, but it feels wrong that somebody can sell scripts and gain 10% resources from 30..50+ players, while he ruins the trade-system for everybody else slightly below his own skills.

If they are linked to sold objects, he can sell it only that many times as he can build drones, which makes the economy a bit more stable.

Reactions: the guyver
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, but it feels wrong that somebody can sell scripts and gain 10% resources from 30..50+ players, while he ruins the trade-system for everybody else slightly below his own skills.
    that's not how it works in RL lol :) Rolex havent killed the economy and trade in cheap watches :p
    quality nearly always costs more but doesn't kill the trade of cheaper alternatives that will still do the job

If they are linked to sold objects, he can sell it only that many times as he can build drones, which makes the economy a bit more stable.
    i agree in principal but if someone writes the perfect drone script, i would like to be able to use it in my own drones, not just be forced to use the script authors drones

from a scriptwriters point of view, no form of protection on a script could mean only making 1 sale and then everybody just copies and pastes it for free

its better to encourage good scriptwriters to distribute their work so it can be used by anybody that wants to, than just keep it to themselves

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What happened to light bulbs IRL?
    Big companies made an agreement to not sell any with more than 10'000 hours life-time. 100'000 were not available anymore.

That is what I really fear.
    i agree in principal but if someone writes the perfect drone script, i would like to be able to use it in my own drones, not just be forced to use the script authors drones

from a scriptwriters point of view, no form of protection on a script could mean only making 1 sale and then everybody just copies and pastes it for free

its better to encourage good scriptwriters to distribute their work so it can be used by anybody that wants to, than just keep it to themselves
    I think of it as a point of balance. And sell-points of drones would act as public places where scripts will soon be suggested as "distributable via some kind of ingame-internet", which makes public-places less common.

Nobody wants a perfect steam-rolling machine if it is not limited to specific use cases.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What happened to light bulbs IRL?
    Big companies made an agreement to not sell any with more than 10'000 hours life-time. 100'000 were not available anymore.

That is what I really fear.

I think of it as a point of balance. And sell-points of drones would act as public places where scripts will soon be suggested as "distributable via some kind of ingame-internet", which makes public-places less common.

Nobody wants a perfect steam-rolling machine if it is not limited to specific use cases.
    the bulb example is a perfect RL example of the reason for protecting script in some way, no one wants a sell once then go out of business before you sell another one, business model

I don't personally believe that making fully functioning scripted items should ever be the exclusive domain of those who can write scripts, it should be that everybody can make decent scripted objects, regardless of whether or not they can write scripts.
    if that means script writers benefit in terms of resources or credits, so be it, as long as they are encouraged to distribute their work so its balanced in terms of who can create well scripted objects.

PS. this suggestion was not an original idea by me, i just adapted it to fit starmade , it was made this way after scripting was found to have crippled the in game economy because making fully functional stuff was limited to a minority and every one else could only make static decorative or semi functioning stuff, admittedly it was a single server where every one playing was on the same server, which is why i added the inter server trade idea in the same thread

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Now I think about object scripts having some kind of evolutionary process among players and you could buy "advanced cheats" which are protected (also against reading?)...

Would you like the ability to learn scripts?
    Maybe scripts from others which you are using? Your skill level or levels+success with other scripts may determinate the speed at which you learn from others.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    ahh, so if im understanding what your saying correctly, put in RL terms, you believe that because copyright laws are in place for authors that don't want so share their code, it excludes the possibility of open source existing.

no the OPTION to protect scripts is not mandatory and im am certain there would be plenty of people happy to share scripts with no protection set so others can change and learn from them .

I have learnt to write scripts for other games by reading other peoples scripts on servers with many more levels of script protection options than i have suggested , from experience script writers feel more confident about spending hours (or weeks) writing scripts when there are options in place to protect that one special script they may have spent a very long time fine tuning, and can still share it without it being 'ripped off'

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If it would be limited to protected only, peoples would simply share it over the forum, thus bypassing protection. I just said that it would be cool to have some kind of progress system too.

I like free building and check-lists too, but if some day everything is done by at least some-one before - what on your thing would be new for you to be proud of?

I think servers will have different settings on limiting either rapid share or protection of scripts or nothing of both.

But probably the list of scripts will be so cluttered that you can't find what you want anyway :p