SB Nahema (from Freespace 2)

Reaction score
    I have started SM only few days ago, gotta say...

NOT ENOUGH TIME !

I'll be starting to build a few Shivan ships from the game Freespace 2. Well, in fact I started 2 of those, one being completely irrealistic (I mean, who the hell has the time to build a 6km long juggernaut ?!), and the other one, a Shivan bomber, namely the SB Nahema.

Ok, self-criticism first :
    1) This is blocky. Yeah, it sucks. I'm a horrible ship designer. I'm bad and I shall feel bad.
    2) Hell, this is supposed to be 37m long, but definitely couldn't make it work. That's just too little to work with.
    3) Interior design looks like I just... No, better to not even try to describe it.

Enough with the talking, here goes the "OMG IT LOOKS HORRIBLE" :
    starmade-screenshot-0000.png

Just to know where I got the idea from :
    http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/SB_Nahema

Yeah, I did have a few more images to work with, but not that many were as... exploitable as the one from that paticular website (good source of inspiration for ships designers by the way).

Let's keep going :

starmade-screenshot-0001.png
    From the top :

starmade-screenshot-0002.png
    Now for the (horrible) interior :

starmade-screenshot-0003.png
    Ship deck being done, now for a thruster :

starmade-screenshot-0004.png
    Ship was hand-built, with Advanced build mode support (sym and stuff). Interior is supposed to be dark (it is in fact). The ship itself has decent stats itself, featuring 4 torpedo bays and a bunch of swarm missiles. I couldn't do as much as the original as I wanted, but still quite satisfied with the final result.

If requested, I'll try to share the ship. It could definitely need some polish.

Flame, critizise, hate, throw stones at me/etc away.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    As a big fan of Freespace and an aficionado of spiky and threatening vessels I can respect that you've chosen the Shivan designs as some of your first ships. They're tough to do, but can be a huge learning exercise in how to do curved and organic shapes and colors without relying on painstaking math 100% of the time.

Looking forward to seeing a Sathanas!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ok, first of all, this does not suck. You are however terrible at self-criticism.
    You say you've been playing only a few days, go look for some other peoples early stuff, they're allmost allways some form of rectangle, those suck. This looks amazing for one of your first ships, even if you'd been playing ages its still good.
    It isn't blocky either, its certainly not as angular as the original, but that thing looks crazy. There is a little more you could do with it to get it abit closer to your reference pic, but being an early ship you'll probably revisit it later anyway once you feel you've improved in your ship building, and then i really want to see it, once you've got some more experience i can see your ships being awesome :D

I won't comment too much on the interior as i'm really bad at that, but it does look ok.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    As a big fan of Freespace and an aficionado of spiky and threatening vessels I can respect that you've chosen the Shivan designs as some of your first ships. They're tough to do, but can be a huge learning exercise in how to do curved and organic shapes and colors without relying on painstaking math 100% of the time.

Looking forward to seeing a Sathanas!
    Math? Ain't nobody got time for that!

In all seriousness @Asmael , that's pretty impressive for one of your first ships. Everyone has to start somewhere!!! And your "somewhere" was pretty damn though to start with. Good job, keep up the good work :D

Reaction score
    In all honesty, I've been toying around with Minecraft quite some time. Aaaaaand I do have a lot of time, so, that's not like I was starting from absolute zero.

I DID try to do a 1-block large skeleton of the Sathanas already. 500m height, same for width (1 for length), and then I was like "ok, this is approx. 1/600.000th of the ship. And it took me 10 hours."

I promise, I'll post the skeleton of the Sathanas, if I ever manage to get it done, but I'll probably work on cruiser/corvette size before, and then "small" capital ships. SJ bro gotta be the final big boss of pretty much any ship designer ever :D

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Tip is wedge the bottom fins. Also another is that color difference between grey and black on the top. You could make the grey be above the black and then add side ways wedges.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Suck? Hell no! Awesome work there! :) Freespace 2 was/is a great game.