Salvager Success/fail Rate in server Configs

Reaction score
    I've posted this idea before, but refined it a bit, now.

I'd like to see a success rate value added for both natural and manmade blocks, in the game.

The reason for this is, I am trying to make a server where progress and growth are meaningful. I have greatly reduced the shop spawning, making players rely more on player shops, recipes, and cubits.

Unfortunately, this doesn't stop players from finding a station and salvaging it for millions of blocks and credits, which mitigates my efforts to make mining and manufacturing a meaningful part of our server.

I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it would be great to have the control over how much a player could get from salvaging a station or dead ship. Seeing as pirates already drop loot, kills are meaningful enough without also being able to salvage each and every block on their corpse.

I would like to be able to set a success rate, let's say 10% for anything that isn't natural, like hull blocks or modules, while also having the option to set the success rate for things like minerals and trees, wood, etc. Personally, I would set the natural success rate to 100%, but maybe someone else would like to be able to edit it, just because it's there.

The other issue is, people could just place a build block down and use remove mode to harvest a station, and get around this issue. In all honesty, remove mode makes the entire salvaging aspect meaningless. I would like to be able to toggle that as well. "Remove mode give blocks = true" would give the player the blocks they removed, while false would just destroy the blocks.

This might make some people mad, as they've relied heavily on remove mode, but seeing as each server owner has their own wishes for their universe, it would at least allow the server owners to make that choice.

Alternatively, a setting in configs to make build blocks only usable on faction homebases would also be nice, that way people could use remove mode on their homebase, but not on other things. If it costs 1 million credits to start a station in space, then it might dissuade people from just plunking down a build block to harvest blocks, then pick up and go.

All of this thought process is simply about making a server economy and manufacturing system that encourages player manufacturing and cubit research, as opposed to rapid acquisition of materials.

The glory of the idea is in the fact that all of these values would, at default, leave the game exactly as it is now. Only by adjusting these values would it increase the difficulty of the game.

I welcome positive feedback on the idea, and appreciate any support.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Caid

Reaction score
    Had these changes been suggested as mechanical changes to the core game, I couldn\'t support them.

But as options left up to a server owner, sure, why not? The more a server owner can customize, the better in my opinion.

This would allow server owners to create a much more unique economy on a server, and circumvent some otherwise exploitable problems.

I\'m of the opinion that a server owner should be allowed to customize nearly all aspects of the economy on their server so they can tailor an experience for the player-base.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    gOOD IDEA! Another one that talks about server customization!

Customizatin of servers is a must and will reduce the need of modding = less downloads when you want to join a specific server = more population/ better game experience.