Rubik's Twist (A.K.A. The Rubik Snake)

Reaction score
    The snake is another creation by Nerd Prophet Erno Rubik. I had one as a child and even then I thought it ain't worth the time (compared to the cube). Until now.

The snake consists of 24 isosceles triangular prism wedges in a row. Each prism can be rotated by 90 degrees either CCW or CW. In StarMade it looks like this:

Or (closer to IRL):

There is no goal to 'solve' the snake. You just start twisting it and try to get interesting shapes:

(The Ball is sometimes considered as the 'solved' state of the snake)

(This one is rather hard)

(This one is much easier)

The Blueprint:

The blueprint contains a platform with logic (the white cubic thing), a remote (the blue house-shaped vessel) and a snake (in ball shape on the screenshot, alternate color scheme). Using the remote one can fly around and command the snake. Each prism of the snake has a pair of lights. Lit lights indicate the place where the snake will twist if a CCW or CW command is issued. The pilot of the remote can change this position by using the Next & Prev commands. The zip contains two BPs: the 'plain' scheme and the alternating scheme (closer to real ones). I prefer the 'plain' one. Both are functionally equivalent, but with the alternating you get the option to choose the 'dominant' color of the resulting shape. Thus you can create a 'white' or 'blue' ball, while in plain scheme there is only one ball.

Known limitations:

Due to the shape of the wedges, planar shapes (like the doggy) are almost impossible because wedges' corners collide. This could be easily avoided by making wedges a little bit more spherical, but I find planar shapes to be not so interesting and collisions also add some challenge when making complex shapes.

Last edited:
    Reactions: darknassius

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I HAVE ONE OF THOSE! How'd you do the ball again? o_O

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I also have one, even better 1 week ago I played with it when I was bored! great creation!