Resource gathering. Tanks and collection systems. Repost from old forums.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Respost of my second idea. One possible method for resource gathering.

Original post:
    http://oldsite.star-made.org/content/resource-gathering-tanks-and-collection-systems

"
    Resource gathering. Tanks and collection systems.
    Im almost certainly sure that some kind of resource system has been discussed before, but I thought id suggest a spin on it that has been discussed with some of the thunderdome server residents.

The idea was, in essence, a system where by you would be able to collect resources that may be required for certain tasks. The purpose would be to add more gameplay to the game, as well as boost an in game economy on certain types of server.

The system would function like so:

• Certain tasks could potentially require certain resources. For example, powering space station or ship functions like gravity could require gathering and storage of a mineral that posessed high mass. This would fall in line with the Cubatom system that has been introduced, giving elements certain properties.
    • These high mass items could then be processed inside a refinery block of sorts, into some kind of meta-resource that you could then store in tanks.
    • Tank blocks could be attatched to a tank valve block, that would allow you to place elements inside. Tank blocks would act as tank enhancers to the valve, and expand the number of items you could store in the tank.
      • Alternatively, you could require physical gathering of resources using some kind of hose or apperture. The tanks could then be required for transportation and storage, rather than allowing materials to be picked up and moved manually.
    • You would therefore be able to adjust the amount of storage on a ship by adding more blocks. Bigger ships would require bigger tanks, and smaller ships smaller tanks.
    • The system would work for other properties and elements, and could allow for the use of oxygen systems, water storage, gasses, lava? for heat/temperature.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above system could work simply for tasks that are deemed extra/luxury. The below ideas are expanding upon this, but not entirely necessary.

Expansion possibilities:

• You could expand this to include powering energy blocks, so that you required fuel for movement. This would lead to the ability to produce more efficient fuels.
    • There would be the potential to require tanks of fuel, that when mixed in a larger combustion chamber provide the means to power the cells, and thus create a proper reactor core. (You could use crystals as the base for this reactor, and require power to pass through them?)
    • If not core ship power, these fuels could be used to power RCS thrusters so that you could have more sophisticated turning systems. The thrusters could act like weapons, where you clicked a hotkey to thrust.

Expansions cons, and how to overcome them:

• One big issue we could see with systems like oxygen, is that if you made it a requirement, it would be difficult to travel without first gathering lots of materials.
      • One possible way to avoid this issue that we discussed would be to give players a one hour timer on life support that resets as soon as you enter an oxygen rich environment, or click R on a nozzle that resupplies the suit.
    • The next issue is that gathering could be come a chore.
      • The timer wouldnt require many resources to be refilled, and the rate of resource usage could be extremely low so that it didnt become a chore, and resource gathering becomes more of an optional thing once you have collected a good amount. A large tank could last years, for example.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The real benefits of this system, and expansions, to me would be that it would give me a reason to explore planets, as these would be the key locations to find the resources needed to gather and break down into materials that you could store in tanks.

The system would also open up multiple opportunities for in game trade and interaction, without limiting the games current mechanics. I can imagine a scenario where I build a tank carrier or mobile refinery that travels to planets and demolishes them, converting elements for storage in tanks.

"

Link to my other idea which is now potentially going to be happening:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/han...r-decorative-items-repost-from-old-forum.830/

Cheers