Repairing

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Currently when my ships take a lot of damage in combat, I simply go into build mode, delete the entire ship, and then spawn a new copy from blueprints. I personally don't like the feel of this, just seems like the ship you spent a month building by hand that served you through thick and thin deserves a little better than to simply be scrapped and respawned simply because its faster and easier than actually fixing it.

So, three related requests for the issue, not all of which would be intended to work at the same time.

1) Save Blueprint to Core
    We can currently save a blueprint to the server to respawn from, which contains the complete build of the ship and any associated turrets. What if we could save that blueprint to the core instead of the server, and use it to replace damaged/missing blocks? As in, if a missile takes out a big chunk of your hull, you could just use the core like a blueprint. It would scan the ship and see what blocks were missing compared to the stored blueprint, and give you the option to add blocks to mass add them, allowing you to repair damage to an established ship quickly and easily.

2) Repair Turrets (simple)
    Often after a fight that wasn't an overwhelming victory on my part (but not a defeat either), I'll have plenty of cracked and damaged hull blocks that aren't completely dead. Replacing them in build mode is a pain, as is trying to fix them with a repair shuttle. A new Bobby AI module that would let you build repair beams into a turret and automatically target and repair damaged blocks would be ideal for a base hanger. Park the ship, go drop stuff off in your factories, and have the station repair turrets fix up your ship while you wait.

3) Repair Turrets (complex)
    This one would probably be too complicated to actually implement, but would be the best feeling in-universe answer for me. Combine points 1 & 2 to create a turret that you can store blueprints in. If the blueprint in the turret matches the blueprint stored in a targeted ship, the turrets start not only repairing damaged blocks but replacing missing ones as well. Link it to a chest full of spare parts, and perhaps a salvage beam to remove blocks that are in the way to get to where it can replace/repair internal damage, then put the original blocks back in place.

I personally would really like to see #3 here implemented, and then have the whole blueprint spawn system removed. If you want to build a brand new ship from a blueprint, build a construction yard with turrets. Feed it the blueprint and the materials, and watch as your ship gets built by laser beams. No more instant ships.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Repairing is going to be implemented at some point, and I could've sworn I remembered hearing about schema mentioning Shipyards having the option to replace all turrets and docks.

We just need the Shipyards and HP system for this to work out properly.