Removing the lock-on thing

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I mean, this lock-on thing (you know, when you press F on a ship it gets highlighted) doesn't give a chance for optically stealthy (like, blending in the background) ships. It makes camouflaged ships impossible, so I suggest this:
    How about, you only get that lock-on thing when it's your own ship or your factions. You can't see other factions' ships with that thing BUT if you press F on the ship, there it will show the lock-on thing.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Having an active radar-jammer (not cloaker) on the camouflaged ship will do just that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    maybe he just does not get what does what...
    Cloaker -> camoflages hides visualy
    Radarjammer -> surpresses targeting of the various signals your ship emits and makeing it unable to lock on with guided missiles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    maybe he just does not get what does what...
    Cloaker -> camoflages hides visualy
    Radarjammer -> surpresses targeting of the various signals your ship emits and makeing it unable to lock on with guided missiles.
    wait radar jammers actually do sht
    damn, i thought they're pointless

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So, give every ship a free radar jammer? No. If you want to visually cloak, you have two choices-
    1. Use a cloaker + radar jammer (completely invisible, but has high energy costs)
    2. Use a camouflaged hull design (lower energy costs, but only works well for systems where it matches the background color)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    wait radar jammers actually do sht
    damn, i thought they're pointless
    Nope, Radar Jammers prevent missile lock-ons and prevent the HUD reticule from showing up.
    And a scanner sends out a wave that actively disables the Cloak on a ship making it visible.

Reaction score
    Nope, Radar Jammers prevent missile lock-ons and prevent the HUD reticule from showing up.
    And a scanner sends out a wave that actively disables the Cloak on a ship making it visible.
    Addendum(this is what I've heard, please pardon and correct me if any of this is innacurate):the other player can immediately re-enable cloaking and jamming, but due to missile and AI quirks, missile turrets/drones will fire lock-on missiles as soon as you decloak, and the missiles(beam, missile, and pulse slaves)will not give up their tracking when you re-enable cloaking and/or jamming.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Addendum(this is what I've heard, please pardon and correct me if any of this is innacurate):the other player can immediately re-enable cloaking and jamming, but due to missile and AI quirks, missile turrets/drones will fire lock-on missiles as soon as you decloak, and the missiles(beam, missile, and pulse slaves)will not give up their tracking when you re-enable cloaking and/or jamming.
    This is correct. Has not happened to me, but I was watching a video of a fight where somebody had a finger slip and dropped their jammer for a split second and suddenly had dozens of missiles coming for them. Re-enabling the jammer did nothing, it was too late. Got hammered, hard.

Missiles apparently only need to be locked on at the time of firing. After that, you're screwed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This is correct. Has not happened to me, but I was watching a video of a fight where somebody had a finger slip and dropped their jammer for a split second and suddenly had dozens of missiles coming for them. Re-enabling the jammer did nothing, it was too late. Got hammered, hard.
    Probably Thryn during B&S. We had a lot of lock-on missile turrets.