Votes: 2 66.7%
    • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Everyone knows that elevators are... not... that... good. So my idea for elevators is that the plex lifter is the entire shaft. with Lift Stopper blocks on the floors. A diagram would serve this well: upload_2015-1-10_16-43-37.png
    Now how this works is that a player enters the Plex Lifter, as one enters an elevator in real life, by pressing 'R'. They then either move up or down, stopping at each Stopper. The stoppers are placed into the floor to allow people to easily exit the elevator. This would make elevators actually good and especially so if they can be installed in ships. One could still design an elevator shaft and simply put lifts inside it.

Wouldn't this be OP?
    In order to make this not OP I suggest that elevators NOT be a system of teleportation, but that elevators SLOWLY lower or raise a player to the next floor.

Wouldn't this obsolete gravity lifts?
    Yes. But gravity lifts only exist because they are the best we have, they frequently jam when there is too much lag and they are really disorientating.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    We're getting rails in the near future, so this suggestion will kind of be irrelevant by then.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    There's no specifics on how rails will work yet, but moving other blocks along them is safe to assume. Which should lead to elevators and other applications with moving blocks. It's not explicit, but I can't see rails being used for any other types of applications.

http://star-made.org/news/49
    Rails are mentioned at the bottom of this news post to be in the works.

Reaction score
    I do so hope to get buildable 'trains' but I like blau's idea as well. You're still gangsta.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Reaction score
    I guess that just means you meant it! We can only hope Duke relays some of the ideas he sees in the forums to the big cheese.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Similar things have been suggested before. Personally I wouldn't want to have to enter a computer on an elevator. I'd rather punch a button and just ride up or down.

Hopefully the rail system has enough logic-enabled features that this can be done without too much trouble. I'd really like to build something almost like Metroid Prime where you step into a hologram (or step on a trigger, either way) to activate the elevator after selecting the destination.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I just wish that this system you suggests is not just used as elevator but also allows horizontal (faster) movement and animated doors then.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd really like to build something almost like Metroid Prime
    I don't know why but lifts in that game just felt so satisfying to use. As satisfying as using the shotgun in Doom if that makes sense. I hope rails have some kind of sfx so I can replace the default with the sfx from Metroid Prime.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't know why but lifts in that game just felt so satisfying to use. As satisfying as using the shotgun in Doom if that makes sense. I hope rails have some kind of sfx so I can replace the default with the sfx from Metroid Prime.
    I know, right?? Honestly, that was one of the best FPS games I've ever played. I think some real inspiration can come from its style and theme, which were its strongest points IMO.