Recreating a universe via fragments and random files

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So today I wanted to fool around with the Windows 10 3D model viewer and the OBJ exporter.
    Something somewhere went wrong and all the files in my Starmade folder disappeared.
    I was able to recover all my files via a data recovery software but it did not recreate the folders, so Im left with thousands of files inside my starmade folder.
    I seem to be missing some of my backup zip files from last update so I cant recreate my universe with that.
    I did not have all my ships saved as blueprints nor exports
    Only way I can retrieve most of my ships is by recreating my old universe.

Thanks in advance.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So today I wanted to fool around with the Windows 10 3D model viewer and the OBJ exporter.
    Something somewhere went wrong and all the files in my Starmade folder disappeared.
    I was able to recover all my files via a data recovery software but it did not recreate the folders, so Im left with thousands of files inside my starmade folder.
    I seem to be missing some of my backup zip files from last update so I cant recreate my universe with that.
    I did not have all my ships saved as blueprints nor exports
    Only way I can retrieve most of my ships is by recreating my old universe.

Thanks in advance.
    Just an idea, create a new universe, and look in server-database for the file extensions to see which it uses. then copy anything from the mess with that extension into a new server-database folder structure and pray to god

also Megacrafter127 knows things, he might be able to help

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Just an idea, create a new universe, and look in server-database for the file extensions to see which it uses. then copy anything from the mess with that extension into a new server-database folder structure and pray to god

also Megacrafter127 knows things, he might be able to help
    already tried that and it didnt work, might have done it wrong somehow since that would be typically me to do such a thing

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    already tried that and it didnt work, might have done it wrong somehow since that would be typically me to do such a thing
    Step 1: eliminate all files that you would find in a fresh install of starmade without a world.
    Step 2: use that fresh second install to create a world, then erase all files within that world(but leave its folders intact).
    Step 3: throw all *.sim, *.ent, *.sim.old and *.ent.old files into the world folder, and all *.smd2 and *.ini files into the DATA folder within the wold folder.(the exception being the smd2 files you know are from blueprints)
    Step 3.5: put the files ".seed", "version", "CATALOG.cat", "chatchannels.tag", "FACTIONS.fac" and "uniquePlayerCount" into the world folder
    Step 4: delete the INDEX folder in the world's folder structure
    Step 5: start starmade, and click 'Migrate database' in the tools menu in the connection setup.
    This would be the best advice I can give you without directly looking at all the files.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Step 1: eliminate all files that you would find in a fresh install of starmade without a world.
    Step 2: use that fresh second install to create a world, then erase all files within that world(but leave its folders intact).
    Step 3: throw all *.sim, *.ent, *.sim.old and *.ent.old files into the world folder, and all *.smd2 and *.ini files into the DATA folder within the wold folder.(the exception being the smd2 files you know are from blueprints)
    Step 3.5: put the files ".seed", "version", "CATALOG.cat", "chatchannels.tag", "FACTIONS.fac" and "uniquePlayerCount" into the world folder
    Step 4: delete the INDEX folder in the world's folder structure
    Step 5: start starmade, and click 'Migrate database' in the tools menu in the connection setup.
    This would be the best advice I can give you without directly looking at all the files.
    Did all that, tried to go to the second launcer or the connection setup as you call it.
    It says it needs to create that database index and then it pops up with the progress bar and gets stuck immediatly