Realism

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Depends on the game. If it's not meant to be realistic then yes, most people will dislike suggestions aimed at enforcing realism with no regard for gameplay impacts.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Gamers pick and choose their realism in a fashion that often negates their own argument for realism.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    StarMade design favors popular visual Sci-Fi (versus books), as seen in how "space-plane" design is the most well-supported by the blocks. Popular visual Sci-fi tends to compromise realism for plot and style.
    (E.g. Realism argument: when ships are maneuvering quickly, pilots and passengers alike should be strapped into gravity couches, barely able to breath, much less talk. Creative counter-argument: "But then Han Solo couldn't look cool and say his signature quips!")

Reaction score
    Like others have said, the game being fun comes before realism. "Realistic" features that bog the game down with no meaningful addition to the end user's enjoyment have no place.

I would like to see some realism in a couple of areas where it actually benefits, like handling, collisions and the like though.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    yeah, i like my video games in the "soft" sci fi versus hard sci fi. I mean, it is fiction after all.

In the real world, no large ship would turn with thrusters. Capital ships would use gigantic gyroscopes in the center of their ships, and that would hinder some design philosophies to have every big ship be based around a sphere

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Eh, I like realism where it's either convenient, or adds to immersion without making things really really boring.

Reactions: Kaamio
    Reaction score
    What makes starmade the best space-based block building games is the absence of realism in many areas. For example, I don' have to have every block connected, I can have floating blocks which allow for simple convenience things such as making doors that don't take up the area of a small fighter. To more design oriented things such as alien looking floating engine pods or gyroscopic turrets. This sort of thing applies to most realism aspects. Where we place thrusters don't matter, thus we can make cool looking ships with weirdly placed engines, or no engines at all, and it all still works.

Sometimes realism would be a good thing, as the endless debate over fuel requirements as that sort of thing doesn't limit a player's creative ability to make something cool, but it does help limit the more harmful aspects of gameplay such as titan spam. But generally most 'realism' would do nothing but stifle creativity, thus most 'realism' is bad.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, this really depends on the type of game. For some games, like Skyrim for instance, I like the Bethesda ultra realistic approach, for others, like StarMade, a little dependency on your imagination is what's expected and doesn't harm the immersion at all.

Oh dear, it seems I've been looking at live streams of E3 2015 too long the last days, where does one find those words... :D

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Arcade realism is fine for starmade in my opinion. Fun and gameplay first... I like Space Engineers style realism too, but I don't think it would work here. Besides, getting stuff done in SE is seriously tedious.

Ship handling is the main thing that could take some realistic touches, as well as some (preferably convenient) maintenance aspects of fielding ships. Some damage without outright obliteration or such.