Re-open informative thread

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Fun warnings 4 Friends

Despite the amount of salt in this thread, actual examples of how the dock is being moderated are useful to the public. The thread should be re-opened for further replies.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A few things:

All moderation decisions are group decision that can take many days of debate before action is taken. Showing those warning provides none of that context.

SMD staff are very much aware of the forum atmosphere that existed before the change in moderation practices. We will not, under any circumstances, allow any back-sliding to that period when a great many users were deterred from posting here because of toxic and hostile behavior.

Reposting screen shots can reveal information about SMD members that is considered private and without an SMD members permission.

Reaction score
    We will not, under any circumstances, allow any back-sliding to that period when a great many users were deterred from posting here because of toxic and hostile behavior.
    What about the users that are currently being deterred by aggressive moderation? I for one am feeling like I need to walk on eggshells to post anything here and even then I don't know what slip of the keyboard might result in punishment. It feels too oppressive.

Reaction score
    What about the users that are currently being deterred by aggressive moderation? I for one am feeling like I need to walk on eggshells to post anything here and even then I don't know what slip of the keyboard might result in punishment. It feels too oppressive.
    I know this sounds like a bit of a stupid suggestion, but I feel it is sufficient enough to sum up everything that is being done wrong and how to fix it.

Instead of thinking you have to try not being insulting, how about not trying to be insulting.

So long as you don't actively and intentionally post profanity (genitals are genitals no matter how you dress them), insult other players (yes, there are instances in which something like the word "gay" can be used as an insult), or haze members of communities (being in a faction does not mean you volunteer yourself as a subject of abuse) your posts will likely not be moderated. The only complaints I do have about the current moderation system are regarding how off-topic posts are handled. I personally agree with DukeofRealms' idea to allow posts to still be viewable after being marked as off-topic. A vast majority of the deleted posts that I'm aware of are very clearly intended to hurt someone else, which in a community such as this is unacceptable. Instead of thinking you can't say anything, start by just toning down what you say.