Rail Docking Transfers

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    (Nomenclature: Dockee is the ship with the rail docking module. Docker is the ship or station with the rails.)

Two things I've noticed about rails:

1. I think I've observed that they transfer power automatically from dockee to docker without configuration. Anyone else observed this? Anyone have any numbers about it? Does it work in reverse?

2. I've managed to get cargo transfer working by setting the rail and rail docker to masters on their respective storage units and then setting the storage on the docker to auto pull (with appropriate filters) and the storage on the dockee not to. However, I have been unable to reverse the flow. Anyone else having problems with "slurping" like this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't know if this helps, but I have started making cargo container tugs. They will bring a cargo container to the ship and transfer the cargo through it, from the container, to the station.

To get this to work, I use two storage blocks on the cargo tug with respective cargo space(not much). They have an OR switch attached to the storage block, with a NOT attached to it. The rear(container side) storage block pulls through the docking to the container tug( container pull off). The front storage block(on tug) has pull on because it's empty. When it pulls from the rear storage, it turns the OR on, turning the NOT off, disabling pull of the front container. This allows the mothership/station to pull from the front container. When the mothership has pulled the material, the storage block becomes empty again, deactivating the OR, activating the NOT, allowing the front storage block to pull from the rear storage. This can be reversed to allow cargo to flow backwards to the container.

I have included a diagram if it helps. Be kind, I suck at drawing in paint!

This might solve your transfer problem.

cargotransfer.png

Keep in mind that the logic only has to be active on the side that the cargo is being transferred too. Storage pulls do not have to be inactive to pull/send on the same entity.

It's not the only way to do this, but it's my solution.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    (Nomenclature: Dockee is the ship with the rail docking module. Docker is the ship or station with the rails.)

1. I think I've observed that they transfer power automatically from dockee to docker without configuration. Anyone else observed this? Anyone have any numbers about it? Does it work in reverse?

2. I've managed to get cargo transfer working by setting the rail and rail docker to masters on their respective storage units and then setting the storage on the docker to auto pull (with appropriate filters) and the storage on the dockee not to. However, I have been unable to reverse the flow. Anyone else having problems with "slurping" like this?

You can put a logic circuit on your storage container to auto switch when it is full or empty All you need is a activator next to the module connect it to a "flipflop" then connect it to a "not" and connect the connect the not to the same flipflop then connect the flipflop to the storage.

I modified the demo of the Automated storage docking system I have on here after doing the drop off to do a pick up.
    I'll try and post it tomorrow.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

Ok I up loaded the storage and retrieval system. The logic on the indicator for when storage is full is broken. So the best I could do is tell it any time it has something in it switch off pull. That said it takes about 12 seconds or a single cycle for it to switch over so it isn't doing it fast enough for the small track between space. But the setup is correct. So feel free and have a look.
    hope that helps.

Attachments