Question regarding weapon/shield values

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hi all!

I've been playing Starmade for quite a while now and I'm in the process of building a whole collection of Star Trek ships and stations. I'm trying to replicate the "actual" values for power, weapons and shields in order to create a completely balanced RP system. I've run into a bit of a road block, though.

I'm having some trouble working out the values for weapons. I've been using the wiki to calculate damage, shield power etc but they don't seem to be tying up ingame. For example, the beam weapon table gives a value of 5 damage per tick however in the structure panel ingame it gives one single beam block as having a weapon power of 10. Have the values been updated ingame recently without the wiki being updated to reflect, or am I being dense and missing something?

Also, the shield system is confusing me a little. Say if a ship had 5000 shields (ignore the very small figure...balancing!). And you had a beam turret with damage value of 500 at a normal 5 sec reload rate. The turret should do 500 damage per hit, and the shields should fall in 10 hits, ignoring regen. Correct?

So if the regen rate was 88/sec, in the 5 seconds that the turret takes to reload the shields should have regenerated by 440. Leaving a net 60 shield decrease. The shields should eventually come down, yes?

So why oh why is my 500 damage turret taking down the 5000 shields in 10 hits, even with the regen? What have I missed?

In case anyone is wondering, the low 5000 shield value is for a TOS ship. The reference site I'm using gives the ship shield capacity as 594,000Tj. Since taking 1 Starmade shield unit to be 1Tj would mean a huge amount of blocks (and since a TNG ship would have considerably better shielding meaning considerably more blocks, probably far too many to be practical) I've divided the terajoule value by 100 to give me a conversion to SM units.

Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    In the case of your turret, I believe that that damage figure is for dps (damage per second), and after some testing, I don't think that the beam cannon fires for merely one second tick, resulting in more damage than previously anticipated.

No idea on the other stuff though...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sorry I should have said, I worked that out from the tables. So if one beam block is 10 damage per tick, the actual damage is 50 (5 ticks per second, 1 second fire). My turret is made from 10 beam blocks, generating 100 damage per tick, so 500 damage per second.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    What I'm proposing is that your turrets are firing for more than one tick...

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Shields do not start recharging for 10 seconds while underfire.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Damage was increased in the last update, Cannons and Beams do 10 damage per second per block. The Wiki is managed by players, so chances are it hasnt been gotten to (every block needed updating that update due to HP/armour values).

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    5 DPS for missiles.
    10 DPS for cannons and beams.

20 DPS shield damage for ion weapons.
    30 DPS for overdrive cannons and beams, 15 for missiles, but 6x power consumption.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Shields regenerate at a tiny fraction of their listed recharge rate while under fire. Its not a fixed rate either but varies a bit depending on a few things I'm not sure of but I think its around the 5 to 13% or so roughly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Shields regenerate at a tiny fraction of their listed recharge rate while under fire. Its not a fixed rate either but varies a bit depending on a few things I'm not sure of but I think its around the 5 to 13% or so roughly.
    While in fight, shield regeneration is at max 10%
    If you have 100% shield, the regen is at 5% if you have 0% shield, the regen is at 10%.
    At 50% shield you have 7.5% regeneration.

After the shields reached 0%, the regenerations stops for 10 seconds.

While getting hit the regeneration continues unlike as thadius said.