"Pulse" activation, in addition to "Toggle" activation. (For Logic Blocks)

Reaction score
    So I've been fighting to make what WOULD be a very simple design in the logic modules- unfortunately, as they only allow toggles when you activate something, it's taking about six times more blocks than it should.

What I'm suggesting is a logic block that- wait for the drumroll, folks- turns itself off after a second.

So instead of activating the.. well, activator block, and having it burn forever, it turns itself off after a second or two. Simple. Like a button in minecraft.

Reactions: shadeey
    Reaction score
    I suppose you as it to be easier, because I think It's doable right now with logic to make a button to be re-toggled after a time with delays.

Reaction score
    Because it can only be done currently with about fourteen to fifteen blocks, or more if you want a longer delay? Seems to me it'd be a lot less processor intensive, a lot more compact, and a lot easier to make. I don't see a single downside.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Because it can only be done currently with about fourteen to fifteen blocks, or more if you want a longer delay? Seems to me it'd be a lot less processor intensive, a lot more compact, and a lot easier to make. I don't see a single downside.
    I was going to suggest this too! Looks like you beat me ;)

I agree, single pulse activators would be nice.

Reaction score
    I do not believe a [TOGGLE-ACTIVATOR] would be necessary as you can make one with 4 logic blocks. (This technically counts as a "Self Resetting Rising Edge Detector")

1) Take an [ACTIVATOR], connect it to an [AND], and a [NOT]
    2) Connect the [NOT] to a [DELAY]
    3) Connect the [DELAY] to the [AND]
    4) Connect the [AND] to [ACTIVATOR]

The [AND] is output [BLUE/ON].

P.S. To increase time of [BLUE/ON], add [DELAY] Between [ACTIVATOR] and [NOT]

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Yes, you can do it with more blocks, but sometimes it would be nice just to drop one block and have it pulse a signal on, then off. I'm all for a momentary switch. You could even use it as a pulse shortener if you activate it from something else (like area activators)

Reaction score
    With the copy paste feature, I just don't see the viability of taking a 4 block logic structure and turning it into one block being really useful at this point. Maybe for a mod with additional logic setups. But currently I don't see what an extra 0.3 mass has to do with anything.

In fact, you can even use multiple activators to hook up to the same three block reset feature. Technically you could turn any block into a toggle block that's attached to that group.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It would be nice, and less complicated.

I'm sure people had the same arguments you guys are using right now against it that people used to argue against single block repeaters in Minecraft. "you can already make this with a few blocks!"

It'd make the logic life simpler and it would take up less space.

Reaction score
    Lecic, I don't believe people would have complained about repeaters. As far as I know they have three functions. Propagating the signal after 15 blocks without needing two not gates, Isolating a logic group, and creating a delay.

SM logic is based on a logic block not changing states until acted upon by either another logic block or the player.

I'm not saying that a button isn't a good idea. I just think that if it could have been implemented easily by the Devs then we would have had it already.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Lecic, I don't believe people would have complained about repeaters. As far as I know they have three functions. Propagating the signal after 15 blocks without needing two not gates, Isolating a logic group, and creating a delay.

SM logic is based on a logic block not changing states until acted upon by either another logic block or the player.

I'm not saying that a button isn't a good idea. I just think that if it could have been implemented easily by the Devs then we would have had it already.
    You could build repeaters which did exactly that in Minecraft before the repeater block was added, the only difference being they took up multiple blocks of space instead of just one. So, essentially, the exact same thing here. Thing already exists, takes up multiple blocks, could be made simpler for everyone's enjoyment.

My friend, who has owned MC since indev, confirms that a large number of people complained that it wasn't needed and that it was a waste of time for Notch to implement, since they already existed, albeit large.

Something's (lack of) difficulty to implement doesn't mean it will automatically be added quickly. Devs forgetting about something, decisions to add it at a later date, etc, can all affect that.

Reaction score
    I'm not arguing the fact that repeaters could be made from multiple blocks, I was arguing that the example block you used had more than a single function (unlike a button).

I've actually owned MC for a fairly long time and yet never seen them protested, I would love to see some of those posts if you or your friend have the time to dig them up. (Unfortunately after doing a few google searches myself and had not seen anything protesting the addition of repeaters.)

I'll admit it is very possible for the Devs to omit something due to time restraint, forgetting, or other factors. What I was trying to say was that there could be some issue that we are not aware of that prevents the button aspect from functioning. Especially when you take into consideration the time they took to create the logic system in the first place.

-edit-
    *Totally unrelated but...*

I would actually love to see a logic beam, or some way of transferring logic between a ship and a docked ship and vice versa

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I'm not arguing the fact that repeaters could be made from multiple blocks, I was arguing that the example block you used had more than a single function (unlike a button).

I've actually owned MC for a fairly long time and yet never seen them protested, I would love to see some of those posts if you or your friend have the time to dig them up. (Unfortunately after doing a few google searches myself and had not seen anything protesting the addition of repeaters.)

I'll admit it is very possible for the Devs to omit something due to time restraint, forgetting, or other factors. What I was trying to say was that there could be some issue that we are not aware of that prevents the button aspect from functioning. Especially when you take into consideration the time they took to create the logic system in the first place.

-edit-
    *Totally unrelated but...*

I would actually love to see a logic beam, or some way of transferring logic between a ship and a docked ship and vice versa
    Yeah, I tried digging up some posts about it, too, but theres just so many redstone tutorials and general help that I couldn't find anything. A few years on a popular subject tends to do that.

Anyway, people stopped arguing about it once it was implemented and they realised it was stupid to say no to single block repeaters, even though it could be done other ways.

Also, you can do that, sort of! Docking beams trigger logic blocks. Since docking beams can come out of cameras, you can use them to trigger logic cross-entity.

Reaction score
    I guess it would probably rely on the search terms more than anything. Also I think trying to compare SM and MC logic, and a Multi purpose to a single purpose block might not be the best way to handle this current debate. I do agree that compacting large logic circuits into a single block would also be rather useful, especially when larger Logic circuits are required. I guess my biggest issue with this is, separating what would be essential versus what would be "nice to have"

I'll try to make this my last MC reference I promise!
    Currently in MC, I do not use any of the default MC logic (apart from the normal modes of access, levers or buttons.) Any other blocks I use for MC logic come from mods (Redpower 2/Project Red). So at what point do you allow the Devs to step away and allow modders to take over?

As for the docking beam, it's a neat idea but if you needed to sync with clocks on docked ships ("armor plates" with decorative lighting.) it would be rather impractical. I'm also concerned that running multiple clocks could cause a system resource/lag issue.

I apologize for derailing at this point. While the idea of a button is nice, I feel that the toggle provides more usefulness than a button alone could. Lecic, I can see your point on the subject. I just hope I articulated myself well enough that you could understand my view.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would be a boon for smaller structures with logic, such as fighters. I'm always looking for ways to save block space for other systems. (Could always use another shield block!)