[Prototype] manual modular Reactor

Reaction score
    The theory behind
    As a reply to this thread i already explained the idea for a new power generator system using the fact that docked turrets and ships can supply their ship with power.
    Therefore you can build a 1 million power generator with a supply beam providing constant power to your main ship to go beyond the power softcap. The problem is the control when you try to go even further by using multiple docked power generators, making this a rather inpracticable design.
    My intention with the following design was to only require one additional person besides the pilot.

The design
    Since turrets and docked ships can hit each other with weapons and beams, the idea was to have several docked reactors being constantly drained by a additional docked turret/ship. This modul (i will refer to this modul for the rest of this post as "the collector") stores the power and will dispense it afterwards back to the ship.
    For this version i've chosen to build space for 110 9x9x125 generators. With the used generator design (973042.5 e/sec) this results in a potential energy recharge rate of 107 034 675 e/sec

The generator
    A major problem for the collector was, that it couldn't drain and supply at a time. That would mean that you waste power everytime you supply power to the ship. To prevent this from happening i added a power storage to the generator to store power, while supplying.
    The actual stats are:
    Size: 9x9x125
    Recharge: 973 042.5 e/sec
    Storage: 5 873 951.5 e

The collector
    For each docked power generator is a power drain array in position draining 2 043 000 e/sec into the temporary storage with a capacity of 8 743 108 468.8 e, being capable of storing the full amount of energy generated by the 110 generators in 8 seconds. The power drain beams will automatically hit each reactor if they are fired from the viewpoint in the middle straight forward.
    In the middle of the collector is a power supply array facing towards a panel of the ship with a rate of
    204 784 000 e/s. It is used to empty the power storage again:
    To use this system effectively you just need to face at the panel in the middle and drain for 5 seconds to fill the temporary storage and then switch to supply to empty it in 5 seconds.

The ship
    For a size of only 222x104x91 the generator provides 7 milliard storage aswell as 100 million regen but the downside is of course the requirement of one person constantly controlling the generator

The future
    Even though this design is fully functional it requires one person constantly controlling which is a major downside. With the upcoming activator block i might redesign this thing if the activator block can control weapon computers to a even more compact fully automated 100 million regen generator. (With automated weapon computers the temporary storages will get completly unnecessary)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Did you just take away the only drawback huge ships had? :eek:
    Well this build does not make it too imbalanced imo. Its just half as long than it would be to stack normal power regen blocks (if you ignore the added power storage). And its much more complicated and requires another person controlling the whole thing.
    With the activator block i guess i can make an automated version only a third as big and i think even that is balancing wise the least problem.

I imagine this will cease to function once the bug that allows turrets to hit other turrets is patched.
    I thought/hoped it was intended? :<
    It feels like power drain/supply gets always nerfed if there is an actual use for it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    A single missile turret wiping out an entire array of it's companion turrets is definitely a bug. A lot of turret code was fixed like your main guns not destroying turrets (which is what stopped the previous reactors from working), missiles not being able to damage enemy turrets, and turrets not shooting at turrets but a new bug slipped in.

I honestly just want to see a component dock where we can just mount reactors,extra engines,whatever and get their stats but I guess if that was the case the easiest solution would be just to remove the softcap so large ships can get power efficiently. The Power cap is like the only thing that balances large ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Personally I am really mad about the reactors being broken by the new update. My signature tells it all. But it's whatever.