Procedural stations

Reaction score
    Isnt it possible that the game could have just a large library of station modules that are generated together? it would be cooler than the current stations because the shape and interior would always be different,

Need an example? look up the ISS ;)

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like the idea in theory, but I'm not sure how a station like that would look. First thing that comes to mind a scene from Who's Harry Crumb(1989) staring John Candy "I know one thing...We find that crazy typewriter, we'll find our kidnapper." referring to an ransom not made from cutout magazine letters.

I'm not sure how good a station would look with mismatch components all stitched together. There would have to be a way to keep the "font" the same.
    Maybe have a faster way of getting stations from Community Content into the server. Could automatically pick stations based on a scoring system.

Reactions: Parameter
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Procedural stations wouldn't be hard to randomize (don't know how difficult to implement, but...) as you can just have classifications to sort out what it looks like. Medical, trade port, defense, battle, habitat, comms, alien, service, science, etc. Then go for a basic formation, such as radial, pillar, tree, block, or true randomized. After that, it would just be a matter of creating a small library of modular parts for each class of station and let a build algorithm do the rest. There would be some special modules, like Core, turret, treasure (w/loot chest), and terminator modules to cap off the end of a branch or axis of the station. Honestly, I like this idea, but I also like the existing pre-made stations, and think there should be a mix of both.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Imagine how mind-bogglingly huge a procedurally-generated station could be. It would be magnificent. The exploratory possibilities would pretty much be a game type unto itself. People would brag about the size of stations they found. Exploring deep space for new stations and related content would never get old. It would be beautiful to behold.