PREVIEW: Andromeda Mothership WIP

Reaction score
    Thought I would share some info on my current build project and hopefully solicit some advice/ideas from the Starmade community.

Andromeda Mothership! ...all photos here.

(Of course, the entire exterior will eventually be covered with turrets.)

So this thing is big... really big... bout the same diameter as a planet. I know there have been ships longer but this thing has some serious volume (503x503x118)! ...as of now its about 2.1 million blocks.

Andromeda is designed to be a faction base and hopefully when completed, vitrually indestructable (save for attacks from multiple massive ships). So far the ship features 60 million power (7.6 mill e/sec), 4.7 million shields (75486 s/sec)... this of course, will increase slightly as I finish the build. Would like to get to at least 10 mill shields and 10 mill e/seec.

Main AMCs run the entire lenght of the ship in 5x5 blocks (4 groups) for 83,973 DPS. Power drain beams (x2) have 4782 drain/sec).

There area currently two launch bays... the lower main launch bay will contain 112 micro-fighters, 4 "Vampire Bat" Multitask Fighters and spaces for 34 other various size ships (planning on docking some larger transports, harvesters, shuttles, repair ships, etc. Will likely have a couple stealth-recon ships as well.

Exterior view of main launch bay... one large bay door at botton and two side doors (bordered in green).

Inside main launch bay (Vampire Bat picured in foreground).

Micro-Fighters (3 shown). There will be 112 of these in total when completed.

The upper launch bay contains 24 medium armored fighters, 8 Small Shuttle-Repair Ships, 4 micro UFO probe ships and two 10-man Executive Saucer Shuttles.

Exterior view of upper launch bay. Contains 24 "LGM-88 Medium Armored Fighters."

Executive Saucer Shuttle docked in forward upper launch bay.

UPPER DOME:

The Upper Dome contains a large park with a central tower structure (mostly as a center piece and excuse to place a cockpit block atop the glass dome), several farming facilities, fields, tennis courts, and even a baseball diamond or two (some will be later converted into ampitheatres, I have yet to finish this area... the large trees need completion and more aggro farms will fill the empty areas.)

The bottom floor entry outside the main docking bay airlock is a mall area which circles the entire docking bay. I was careful to make airlocks for all exterior exits in anticipation for future game features.

Receiving area and Mall just outside main docking bay.

Corridor structure completed... all the spaces between these corridors will contain rooms, residential living spaces, labs, etc. So far I have completed the corridors (hallways) thoughout the entire ship so I have only to fill the spaces in with rooms.

So here's where I could use some advice and ideas...

Internal spaces I am planning to construct:

• Shops
    • Hospital
    • Security/Detention Centers
    • Storage Rooms
    • Science Labs
    • Living Spaces/Apartments
    • Restauraunts/Bars
    • Recreational Areas
    • Office Spaces
    • Machine Rooms
    • Tactial Center
    • Theatres
    • Micro-Parks and Ovservation Areas
    • Sports Arenas

So, what other types of areas should I put in this sucker? There is more than enough space inside this monster for several hundred dwellings (apartments) plus all the other stuff in my list.

Now, the problem I'm having with this behemoth is navigating the interior. It would be really great if this game had aphanumeric blocks or some type of signage... but with seven levels and all the corridors looking roughly identical it's quite easy to get lost inside this thing. My only solution is to color code the areas with marker blocks or something like that but I don't think there are enough unique color blocks to mark all the many, many corridors.... so what to do... what to do???

I could name the corridors like streets with say a colored block at each intersection... one could be "Red Street" or "Blue Street" but I will run out of colors real quick... Any ideas??

Also with the recent chatter on the forum it seems mega-ships are sort of a problem lately. So is it even worth it to build a thing as big as this? Do you RPers out there see any value in using a ship of this size? And with a price tag already over 16 billion... far beyond the credit limit, how can anyone upload and use this thing without needing a server admin to spawn it in? Am I wasting my time making a big novelty, conversation piece or will this thing have any practical use value?

So please comment with any ideas and suggestions. What would you like to see inside this thing? RPers, what would be your wish-list for this ship?

I expect to complete this thing in the next couple of weeks.

-AlienPet13

Reaction score
    You should add schools, so that you may be educated in basic math. Which you already know. Maybe another lavatory would be better.

Reaction score
    Yes, good idea... education centers and bathrooms... already started placing bathrooms in some lower level dwellings.

Would love to add an indoor pool but since water basically does nothing but sit there in the game... I dunno, maybe Ill put some in anyway.

Thanks for the input... schools it is! :)