Power system question

Reaction score
    As of the moment I'm working on a 500m ship. Its of a 40k imperial cruiser design, and as such has a large arterie of power recharge blocks running down its length (400m) and turns at 90 degrees and runs straight down another 100m fin. The blockers are in the traditional checkered pattern for maximum efficiency. As I added more power recharge blocks to the ship, I found that it no longer mattered what pattern I used, power charge had begun to increase linearly at 50 units per block. If I sever the main arterie, power only decreases by 50 units per block not in the original quadratic sense. So my question is, does it even matter how you place power recharge blocks when building a ship of this scale?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    After you reach a certain e/sec the shape you build the reactor in does not matter as there is a soft cap. Its only really useful to create efficient designs for small ships. I assume that was implemented on purpose.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The cap is probably in the game to make so huge ships are at a disadvantage.

Reaction score
    Thank for confirming that there is indeed a soft cap. This will allow me to redesign the power systems in a less complicated fashion.

In regards to the modular reactor system, my current system follows the same principles. Power recharge lines running parallel one block space in between, 400m z than 100m y. My question was after reaching the cap why thing system no longer mattered. Do you know if small modular systems equaling the same displacement will provide more power recharge?

By the way Vanhelzing, love the name, love your work keep it up.
    Cheers.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    In regards to the modular reactor system, my current system follows the same principles. Power recharge lines running parallel one block space in between, 400m z than 100m y. My question was after reaching the cap why thing system no longer mattered. Do you know if small modular systems equaling the same displacement will provide more power recharge?
    Every docked reactor has its respective cap, giving you more than the 1M in total, if that is your question. On the same ship, the 1M is the total bonus for all reactors.

By the way Vanhalzing, love the name,
    Is that why you spelled it incorrectly? :P
    (Rhetorical question.)

Reaction score
    Thanks der_scheme, now I feel like an @$$. Anyway never tried docking additional reactors, I always thought they would be separate from the ship.
    So would multiple modular powers systems, say 5x5x5, copy and pasted throughout the ship be more effective that systems following the same principle only running the length of the ship?

By the way next time for the sake of spelling names I'll remove auto correct. When I first wrote your name it changed it to "dear"

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Anyway never tried docking additional reactors, I always thought they would be separate from the ship.
    They are separate, that's why you have to use power supply beams to transfer the energy to the hostship.

So would multiple modular powers systems, say 5x5x5, copy and pasted throughout the ship be more effective that systems following the same principle only running the length of the ship?
    No, long lines or 2D/3D pluses are most effective until you reach the 1 million softcap.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Actually certain reactor designs are more efficient than lines and are based around the most efficient placement of 3D crosses within a given volume. These tend to be very tedious and time consuming to place and are useless once your past the power cap anyway.