Possible way to implement/mod custom ambiance

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So as part of a project currently in its early design and brainstorm stage, it became obvious that some ambiance of sort would be a huge plus.

At the same time I want to keep the idea to myself, since it's simple as heck, and at the same time I think some could probably pull it off better than I can.

It's pretty simple. As simple as copy-pasting a block and making a minor edit to it. In theory.

Space is empty and there's no sound in it, that's a given, it's normal. But that doesn't mean your ship shouldn't be able to have its own stereo!

The principle is so to have a block playing music. So far so good, not too complex. And it doesn't get really more complex. I'm sure it'd be simple to mod, but were it simple enough to do, perhaps Schema might even consider it eventualy.

Rather than create a new block and give it some sort of musical property, I'm just going to reproduce a block with the permanent sound effect of the ship core. Only, you change the sound. On paper it's 5-years-old dummy simple, and with the work the guys are doing over there, it should be do-able fairly easily 'ere long.

Now, once that's done and working properly, maybe could work on it so pressing r cycles through a song folder. Now, however, obviously this requires a sound file, and it can't possibly be implemented the same way skins are uploaded, that'd end up too big too fast.

So far, that last thing is the only problem I can see. Opinions?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    The server sets the sounds that are available.
    If a player wants to add to the list, talk to the admin. Recommend a limit to the number of sounds available overall to prevent unneeded connection time increases.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That\'s indeed the simplest way to do it, althought once more that points me in a direction in favor of eventually putting up my own server for the Hall to be centered in. Meh. I\'ll start by having a functionning block. I can then see where I can go from there. Thanks for the Feed back, Az.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Not a problem.
    I\'m bordering on Suggestion-Bot as it stands.