Plans For Planets in Future Versions?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ----------------------------------------

I was curious as to what Schema plans to do with planets in Starmade. I'm inclined to believe they're not going to remain these closely clustered miniaturized disks that we currently see. Ideally, I'd envision them as extremely large spherical bodies of land that are spaced a bit more appropriately and are arranged to more closely resemble solar systems. Indeed they should be fully featured planets each one with their own unique properties and biomes. This would be a huge selling point for the game and would add a huge deal of depth. Planets and space stations are the only two real pivotal geographical features of the Starmade universe so I think a great deal of effort should be invested in them with planets taking precedence. I'm sure I don't really need to elaborate further on the upsides of actual large scale planets and why they're important.

Who knows though, perhaps they're already planned? I realize there are some technical feats that must be performed to make this happen but I don't think the engine is too far off. I'm working on a voxel engine myself and am familiar with some techniques that other voxel engines use to simulate LOD for block landscapes so I'm happy to discuss technical aspects if need be. Ultimately though, I do think it's very possible and within Schema's ability to do so considering what I've seen.

I personally think it would be great if the player could start off on one of these planets and have to "craft" their way to a space station core and finally take off into space for the first time. But, I digress.

What is the future for planets in Starmade?