planet suggestion to solve the discs

Reaction score
    I have been thinking about this for a long time and I finally have something that could work!

From a distance we see the picture of a round planet but as soon as we enter the atmosphere this picture dissapears slowely and the disc shows itself.

The moment the round atmosphere picture dissapears the universe should not be visible anymore only atmosphere but make the planet bigger and surround it with water same color as atmosphere.

Now imagine a square with a north border a east west and south border. We do the same with the round picture that we all see from a distance.
    When I cross the east border on the surface and I fly up to space I will be teleported to the east of the planet when I exit the atmosphere.
    So when I approach a planet from the east when entering the atmosphere it shoult tp me to the east part of the square.
    So lets say the atmosphere is the buffer to teleport while the picture seen from outerspace hides the planet from being revealed as flat.
    Just make sure that when we come flying in we dont see the entire surface which is maybe hard but not impossible if we use water on planets.
    When walking around and hitting the north end it should just tp me to the south end so it loops giving me the feeling the planet is round.
    Please let me know your thoughts if you disagree or something. Great game so far and it has huge potential!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well it doesn\'t teleport but the atmosphere is kind of a buffer. Really, it would just be easier to make discs look more like double sided islands, no messing about with dodecahedrons and crazy shader effects or teleportation... How would you solve capital ships colliding with a planet that needs you to teleport somewhere else?? I\'ve already made ships larger than planets, this would simply not work.

Also, since Schema posted about planets, this topic has been discussed to death...

Reaction score
    The atmosphere is no buffer turn up viewing distance ....

Also schema said that he won´t do this because he wants that you can mine the planet from space and there could be rendering problems.

Reaction score
    Hmmm yeah I understand.. it just doesnt feel like a planet to me but more like a flat asteroide. Considering this is alpha I think it is only good that we discuss this to death :-p as it is a big part of the game that needs attention and other players insight. This is by far the best space sim I ever played and it isnt even finished. Making the planets more real is something that would make it historical... and I didnt even mention asteroid fields. Cant wait to see whats comming. Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It\'s a good idea. I like it. but the boards have already beat it into a fine paste.