Planet Possibilities

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Over the amount of time that I have spent on this game, I've been impressed in every single way possible. The only problem that I see with it as of now is the much spoken about planet issue and what they should look like. I have read several ideas and I've been looking into how gravity would affect the players wilst on the planet surface. I think that the "Oreo" idea given by Schema is definitely a great idea, however, in the middle of the planet, there would be a sort of gravity limbo. You would be stuck in between the two hemispheres of the planet because as soon as you go up, the gravity pulls you down and vice versa. I think that planets in the space environment should simply be hollow spheres.

Once you enter the sphere, you could be "warped" to an environment similar to Minecraft with an X, Y, and Z axis on a flat plane. The planet size can be limited to around 10,000 by 10,000 blocks so it isn't the seemingly infinite plane. In addition, the planet could be in a loop system where if you go to the end of the X or Z axis, you get looped back to the side you started from, making the planet seem round when in fact; it is not at all.

I also have an idea that if the ship that you have is longer than the original sphere's diameter, it won't let you pass though into the planet. I also suggest customizable atmospheres that way your planet can become your own with an outward appearance of say, Coruscant, from Star Wars if your chosen planet is a city planet.

Shifting from space to the planet would be similar to the Minecraft mod, Galacticraft, where the game registers it like a different world. Exiting the world would be easy; if you fly a ship above say, Y= 250, you get warped out to the sector directly above then one that the planet is in.

The cons of this would be that you can't shoot planets but, in my eyes, that keeps people from harvesting planets and destroying bases in just minutes. It makes them create smaller ships that can even the odds a bit.

I know that many people have had similar ideas to mine and I do not claim full credit for this idea as it is a collection of many different ideas from many different people.

- MangoJager

(Mango-YAY-GER)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    No teleporting. The best thing about planets right now is how seamless the transition is, and how they really are just part of the universe, not some separate entity. It\'s a decent idea, but it would ruin immersion (at least for me).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    That is true, but some sarifices will need to be made to please the majority. It would speed up the universe though without loading the blocks.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The best thing to do would be to increase the size of the planets(to around 10km) so there arnt any loading screens yet there is still plenty to explore

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Everytime I get to a planet, I wonder why I see lava before the chunks above are loaded.

If a planet contains air blocks and a block has 6 covered sides, why load this block? If some part get edited parts around can get loaded in advance.

That may improve the fps/traffic stats enough to allow for 1km planets or more (currently they are about 400 in diameter).

Reaction score
    Something needs to happen though, id much rather teleport down to a infinite world than have a finished game with the current planet generation.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I prefer the current planets to having them as a seperate environment because it allows orbital bombardment and ground to space combat. Though I do think it would be nice if they were bigger maybe using a system similiar to NeonSturm\'s idea.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    That would be nice but it doesn\'t provide a great gameplay when you have a floating disk in space as a home planet where only one, maybe two real cities are possible

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Call them planets, and everybody will complain.

No, let\'s call them moons. Planets are the missing feature :)