Pirate Station Assault

Reaction score
    I am about to build a heavy stealth bomber with a mission profile to demolish pirate station Faction modules. I will simultaneously deploy a drone swarm to distract station defenses and ships while I make bombing runs. The goal is to build a capability to quickly clear shipping lanes and rid strategic systems of pirates so I can operate unmolested.

The questions:
    - Is this an efficient and sound strategy?
    - Will the currently engaged pirate ships stay engaged after the module is destroyed?
    - If I walk over to the station after destroying the pirate Faction module and drop my own Faction module, will the station's defenses turn on any remaining pirate ships?

I just want to get a sense of what to expect before I engage the time consuming task of building this ship.

Gratitude.

Reaction score
    First two questions: yes, its efficient, and yes the pirate ships will keep attacking you after you took over the station with your own faction module.

Last question: The defense turrets should belong to you, but they might not be able to fire anymore. Depends on the blueprint: If it uses an old turret, that doesnt use rail dockers but the old turret area blocks, the turret will have a high chance to malfunction.

Reactions: blackAngel21

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I am about to build a heavy stealth bomber with a mission profile to demolish pirate station Faction modules. I will simultaneously deploy a drone swarm to distract station defenses and ships while I make bombing runs. The goal is to build a capability to quickly clear shipping lanes and rid strategic systems of pirates so I can operate unmolested.

The questions:
    - Is this an efficient and sound strategy?
    - Will the currently engaged pirate ships stay engaged after the module is destroyed?
    - If I walk over to the station after destroying the pirate Faction module and drop my own Faction module, will the station's defenses turn on any remaining pirate ships?

I just want to get a sense of what to expect before I engage the time consuming task of building this ship.

Gratitude.
    Efficient and sound? Yes. Textbook military.

Will the enemy ships keep attacking you? You betcha.

Will capturing the station make the turrets side with you? If memory serves, nope! Unless Schine changed things, they'll probably keep shooting at you and the newly captured station.

Things to note for your stealth bomber...

1) Rig for cloaking. Jamming doesn't work on NPCs but if you cloak, they'll never see you coming. By the time they do, it's too late.
    2) Rig for speed to maximize the bomb travel speed. Mobility chambers (top speed and thrust burst) are good for this.
    3) Line up your shot and fly straight at the target. Otherwise, your bombs will drift off target due to lateral inertia.
    4) Add some range to your bombs so you can keep some distance between you and your target.
    5) When you bomb, keep in mind that the arming time has been halved in QF. It is now about 1.5 seconds. Exercise caution.
    6) If you have any turrets, make sure you connect them to logic so you can turn them on and of at will. Otherwise, they will deactivate your cloak when they fire.

If your assault fails... Nuke them!!!

Reaction score
    " Nuke them!!! " How excatly do I nuke them? This sounds like a more strategic approach. :)

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    This sounds like a more strategic approach.
    It is. ;)

" Nuke them!!! " How excatly do I nuke them?
    In order to be able to "Nuke" your enemies, one must first design and build a nuke. If you do it right, you can stack one explosion after another and "drill" your way through a stationary target.
    Transphasic torpedoes.jpg Transphasic torpedo SP12.jpg Sequence 01_2.gif

Just don't let the U.N. or the U.E.G. find out what you're doing...

Edit: You can launch these missiles while cloaked.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    It is. ;)

In order to be able to "Nuke" your enemies, one must first design and build a nuke. If you do it right, you can stack one explosion after another and "drill" your way through a stationary target.
    View attachment 55444View attachment 55443View attachment 55446

Just don't let the U.N. or the U.E.G. find out what you're doing...

Edit: You can launch these missiles while cloaked.
    are those supplementary missiles (the ones that come out of the flaps) logic fired or are you using the AI to have them fired?

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    are those supplementary missiles (the ones that come out of the flaps) logic fired or are you using the AI to have them fired?
    It's logic operated. AI would fire as soon as the main missile detaches and potentially damage the launching ship. ...especially now that the arming time is 1.5 seconds.

It's a shame they got rid of push effect. THAT would have been a game fun to play with.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    It's logic operated. AI would fire as soon as the main missile detaches and potentially damage the launching ship. ...especially now that the arming time is 1.5 seconds.

It's a shame they got rid of push effect. THAT would have been a game fun to play with.
    AI will only fire if can "See" a target. one of the things ive been experimenting with is logic weapons that only orient a fixed turret in the direction of a target. the AI will do the rest.

That way you can have weapon systems automatically turn "On" when certain conditions are met such as when your shields are down.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    AI will only fire if can "See" a target. one of the things ive been experimenting with is logic weapons that only orient a fixed turret in the direction of a target. the AI will do the rest.

That way you can have weapon systems automatically turn "On" when certain conditions are met such as when your shields are down.
    So it's true then; AI does use line of sight now. That explains what I've been seeing lately.

Regarding "conditional" weapons; Are you referring to "retaliatory" turrets, connected to a sensor that detects when your shields fall below a certain percentage?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing your input on how to make that work (safely) with M/M bombs.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    So it's true then; AI does use line of sight now. That explains what I've been seeing lately.

Regarding "conditional" weapons; Are you referring to "retaliatory" turrets, connected to a sensor that detects when your shields fall below a certain percentage?

If so, I'd be interested in hearing your input on how to make that work (safely) with M/M bombs.
    AI has been using line of sight for as long as I've been playing.

Yes, those conditional weapons would just be a fixed turret attached to a rotator rail. When certain conditions are met then the sensor would kick on, turning the rotator so the fixed turret is facing its target. As soo as the AI sees the target it will begin firing. I have plans on using this on some of my fleet contest builds. Give players a nice surprise when fighting them.

M/M bombs with the AI might be tough. I havent experimented with them much but from what i know about he AI it probably wouldnt be very reliable. The AI's line of sight is more or less a cone in fron of the ship core. I havent done enough experimenting to find out the exact width of the cone but i do no it exists.

A M/M bomb turret would probably misfire unless you manage to spin the rotator fast enough to get it into position. The only way I know how to do that would be to use a unique quirk with rotators and shootout rails. shootout rails will greatly accelerate the spin of a rotator if the docked entity is docked to it then moves to/from the shootout rail. if you simply block off the path of the shootout rail then quickly switch the shootout rail to a normal rail then you can easily reset this.

I should say that this might be a glitch cuz this trick only works in all but one docking direction. Only docks facing the left or the right of the parent entity refuse this super spin technique. all other docking directions allow it. I still need to experiment to see if you can make a work around by using another docked entity however this might be more complicated then its worth.