Pirate spawn rate

Reaction score
    There is a huge spawn rate for Pirates and it can be overwhelming if you just started a game. It can cause some problems if you are new to a server especially since the IA accuracy is bugged.

Reaction score
    That sounds like the opposite of the problem I am having, I just have them attacking me non stop.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the same problem.. 19 of the first 20 local games I attempted to play, I was utterly *crushed* by between 8 and 12 pirates in starting sector as soon as I got a ship built and moved out of shop radius. The 20th game, I managed to make it to a space station next sector over, Salvaged the *entire* thing, built a ship I figured would stand more of a chance, laid out with what I thought was crazy amounts of shields, guns, etc... went to another sector to see what was there, immediately got jumped by 8 pirates.. drove off 2, shields went down, booked it back towards shop. Got *almost* to shop, got wasted. Respawned, built a small gunship, sniped the remaining pirates from safety zone, tried to get back to main ship before the core blew.. and immediately another 8 pirates jumped in from nowhere and blew me to hell. Tried to repeat the gunship trick, but my main ship\'s core blew, shop didn\'t have *any* more sheild units.. So that\'s 20/20 where \"pirate death\" forced me to do a universe reset and try again.

21\'s try, I quit screwing around. Spent 3 days building a monster ship using console commands loading obscene amounts of everything.. putting the finishing touches on it now.. Severely overpowered.. massive numbers of shields.. cannon arrays doing 300ish per hit.. loads of heat seekers, bunker busters, etc.. ai controlled turrets.. (now the ship catalog is bugged so I have to make turrets individually, as they only half spawn and can\'t be entered..)

Once I\'m finished, I\'m going to take this behemoth out and see if it survives. If the pirates manage to kill *this* thing.. well...the game is pretty much unplayable and I\'ll write it off for 6 months.

Reaction score
    Catalog --> Admin --> Go to every ship, permissions, then uncheck the enemy use box. You could also make a weak ship and give it to them.

Another option is to set up a homebase on the nearest station with starting credits (need to give self a faction module) and stick a turret on.

Reaction score
    You will NOT have good shields in the beginning of the game.

Do not try to believe that your shields are good enough to withstand a dozen pirates. You will not have a damage soaking ship. You will also not have large guns yet, but you can have better guns than the pirates.

My cruiser that I travel around in currently is only 6000 blocks, and 1000 of those are shield blocks. This is nowhere near enough shields to sit around and soak damage. What this amount of shielding does is allow me to survive a strafing run and be able to have changed direction and dodged without taking hull damage.

This ship also carries 8 turrets which do most of the fighting. My main guns are enough to bore right through a pirate in about a second, and my missiles will remove every last block of their ship except the core, but I can only shoot at one at a time which is what the turrets are for, to keep the rest back while I dodge to preserve shields.

I can handle a dozen pirates at a time in this, even when they have my upgraded Isanth XD that I gave them. BUT I still have to fly the ship evasively if there are many pirates because all their guns at once can still do a good chunk of damage at this level.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Here is the thing about Starmade. There is no fighting learning curve.
    It\'s a wall.
    At first the Isanths will appear to be godly creations that are impossible to kill, once you get into the game and used to how everything works, you\'ll literally hunt them for parts in large numbers.
    I know it sounds crazy, but keep building better and better. Use /shop_restock on the 2 2 2 shop to restock it, buy things you need and continue.

Reaction score
    Meh, the tigershark-class corvette I made has 34 turrets and can go against 134 pirates before the sheilds go down, and 167 before I die.

Reaction score
    Yeah well my space station is a faction home and is invincible. :P

Anyway not everyone has that many blocks and turrets. Yes they\'re easy to get if you rip apart stations and crack planets and abuse every shop you come across, but some of us find that to be a cheap way to go about things.

Reaction score
    Finally somebody understands, and doesn\'t throw in the \"the game should be hard, get used to it!\" argument.

Still, I think the \"wall\" should be made into a curve at some point, because with the recent adjustments to the AI it has become even more frustrating to start out decently.