Paint your ship.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Write now ships have a limited number of colors to chose from for blocks.
    It is possible to give a base color to an object in both DirectX and opengl and then overly a texture for detail.
    You could do this per say an entire block or per surface or provide a mask and several colors can be assigned.
    Or it is even possible to store a texture in memory and allow the user to paint on it and later save that texture off so you can reload it.

This would allow users to customize their ships.

Anyway just an idea for you down the road when you have time.

Reactions: Brokengauge
    Reaction score
    This is not Spaceengineers or Empyrion, I think the biggest problem is the sheer amount of blocks SM handles, if it comes to one sided paintings or even symbols.

But I think painting a certain block group, like lets say hull only, or a specific hull color that gets replaced with another one, and different brushes, would be usefull and I often miss that tool when I build.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This is not Spaceengineers or Empyrion, I think the biggest problem is the sheer amount of blocks SM handles, if it comes to one sided paintings or even symbols.

But I think painting a certain block group, like lets say hull only, or a specific hull color that gets replaced with another one, and different brushes, would be usefull and I often miss that tool when I build.
    They currently already have to load a vertex array into the buffer along with indice array.
    It would require an additional index array and a texture be loaded that serves as canvas.
    It wouldn't require creating a texture per each block. One texture for many blocks.
    The reason is we aren't talking adding detail with the painting. We are talking about adding color. You use a grey scale texture to add the surface detail whatever bump mapping after that you want.

In short instead of say having 8 textures for 8 different colors it requires 1 grey scale texture and an area to store the color. In short they would be cutting down on the number of textures required. It means they don't have to load them each time. In doing so it gives more options to users.