Overdrive is the new FTL drive!

Reaction score
    Think about it. Using it in the defensive mode, it increases your speed to the max. It already calculates based on the number of other blocks on your ship, and lets you travel at absolutely incredible speeds! I believe it should stay as-is, anyone else?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I disagree. As it stands right now it costs next to zero power to remain active, if I wanted I could just fly around with it on all day with no consequence. Power cost for use needs to increase by a lot.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I think it is supposed to be a way of getting away from the enemy if needed, they are hot on your tail and you punch it too 2x faster than they can go. It does need an increase in the amount of power it uses though. true FTL is coming spoon

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I thought it was based on the number of thrusters? Or am I just an update behind? (Didn't test overdrive in 0.158, because I thought it was the same as in 0.157, in which it behaved differently).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Sadly, with 5.8 they have limited overdrive to 100%; perhaps to match other effect blocks.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sadly, with 5.8 they have limited overdrive to 100%; perhaps to match other effect blocks.
    Yeah... IMO it shouldn't get a limit, it should just get impractical power drain. (And it should be a lot harder to get it so far past 100%)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here's a way of fixing the overdrive and other effects to get "over 100%:" Set the effects to require 10x the blocks. Then set the effects to be 10x as strong (though you can't do that in the config right now.)

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    What effect works like FTL?

Reaction score
    What effect works like FTL?
    None atm. Overdrive used to be able to go over 100%, allowing you to reach speeds over 2500. Now you can only double the servers max speed with the overdrive effect.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    HTML:
      <DefensiveBasePowerConsumption>300</DefensiveBasePowerConsumption>  <!-- Power cost per block per second, % bonus is based on the system/ship mass size ratio -->
      <DefensiveBaseMultiplicator>2</DefensiveBaseMultiplicator> <!-- multiplied with effect block count -->
                 <DefensiveEffectType>STATUS_TOP_SPEED</DefensiveEffectType>
                 <EffectConnectDescription>More damage for power usage</EffectConnectDescription>
    You need 100/[2] = 50% of your ship's blocks for 100% overdrive.
    That will cost 600 (300*2) energy distributed over 25% power generators (other 25% is needed for cpu, thrusters, etc) = 1200 power drain per reactor block???

I guess [2] does -for this effect- not mean effect% per block of effect, but multiplier of max speed per block.
    Have you tried entering a value such as 1.02 ?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    well, that is weird.
    I always thought you need "100/DefenseBaseMultiplier" blocks per "DefenseBaseMultiplier" blocks.

This is how punch-through effects calculate %.
    DefenseBasePowerConsumption was then consumed per "block*DefenseBaseMultiplier", not per block.

I would suggest making it consistent:
    DefenseFullEfficiencyFactor = 0.1 for (10% of all blocks are required to be system blocks for 100% effect) -- 1 = never caps out, 0.01 = bonus caps out at 1% of blocks being effect blocks..
    DefensePerBlockPowerConsumption = 100 -- if somebody want it multiplied by DefenseBaseMultiplier aka divided by DefenseFullEfficiencyFactor he can do it manually.
    DefenseBaseEffect = force applied (push, pull), % of server's maxSpeed as bonus (overload), % of force reduction (stop (anti-gravity?))