Overclocking your 8-bit CPU or Logic :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Since the Flip-Flop got added, you can over-clock your stuff.
    @:schema: Please do NOT fix this maybe-bug... (Or I will not report anything anymore :p)

How it works.
    Delay1 <--> Not1
    Delay2 <--> Not2
    Delay3 <--> Not3
    Delay4 <--> Not4
    And then connect these 8 blocks to your Flip-Flop which now pulses 8 times per second
    (itself receives 16 input signals per sec).
    starmade-gif-0000.gif

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Less than 0.1 seconds is almost impossible to archive : clocks will sync due to flip delay.

But it will give you 8 pulses (just don't expect it to update flashy lights and logic-blocks at that speed)

Perhaps you should make your Zylon ship with rail-rotators.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    *Looks at gif*

How the F can you people understand that stuff o_o It looks like a wall of orange/blue blocks flashing....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Wall of 8x8 blocks to show the value of below binary clock.

0|32 +0|16 +0|8 + 0|4 + 0|2 + 0|1 => value between (inclusive) 0 and (exclusive) 64.
    Not . Not . Not . Not . Not . Not
    ^ . . ^ . . ^ . . ^ . . ^ . . ^
    F6 <- F5 <- F4 <- F3 <- F2 <- AM <- F = Flip-Flop (8x as fast as it should be)

Each subsequential Flip-Flop halves the ticks => nice binary clock to see how fast it goes.
    But without Not-Blocks they like to count from [63 to 0] backwards!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    *Looks at gif*

How the F can you people understand that stuff o_o It looks like a wall of orange/blue blocks flashing....
    Its just the simplest Computer you could build ^^
    Every PC works just with on/off signals from a simple calculatot up to your Desktop PC, and thats just what it is.
    If you understand how a PC thinks, you understand how logic systems with Orange (zero Signal) and Blue (one signal) works.

Just try it yourself with starting a simple thing and try to build a flipflop with a toggable Clock. Thats what you need for a Policesiren for example.

Activator ---> DelayBlock ---> NotBlock ---> AndBlock
    Just lead the Signals back from
    Activator ---> AndBlock
    AndBlock ---> DelayBlock
    Then connect
    DelayBlock ---> Blue Light
    AndBlock ---> RedLight

Now when you push the Activator you got a PoliceCarLight

When your done doing this and understood how this simple thingy works, you maybe understand how mor complex logics work ^^

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

Don't be scared - it's the simplest possible explanation that can exist.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Overclocking a computer built with logic inside a game run by an OS running on an overclocked computer fed by an electrical grid ran by humans.

Nice.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    *Looks at gif*

Because we're super-nerds. ;)

That, and we can understand it by having a reasonable grasp of the fundaments of computer science.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Perhaps you should make your Zylon ship with rail-rotators.
    That's not a Cylon.

Overclocking a computer built with logic inside a game run by an OS running on an overclocked computer fed by an electrical grid ran by humans.
    And the electrical grid is run by an overclocked economy which depletes earths entire resources within a few hundred years.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    @:schema: Please do NOT fix this maybe-bug... (Or I will not report anything anymore :p)
    I wouldn't even consider this a bug, but rather a workaround for a missing feature (fast pulses). If Schema doesn't like this, he needs to implement a fast pulse. If this is considered a bug and then "fixed" and I hear of it, I will post a suggestion to un-implement the "fix" or add a variable delay.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    ived used this sytem and a set of rails rotating on prime numbers to generate strobe lights. past that i can't find a good application for the fast pulses.

i considered trying to adapt the same system to a good RNG, the problem becomes trying to take a reading of the flip flops. because the read cycle is the full tick, all reads of flip flops are "random", sure, but tend to bias hi-input as a result.

has anyone figured out a good way to get a reliable read on the fast pulse? it seems like a lost cause to me.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    ived used this sytem and a set of rails rotating on prime numbers to generate strobe lights. past that i can't find a good application for the fast pulses.

i considered trying to adapt the same system to a good RNG, the problem becomes trying to take a reading of the flip flops. because the read cycle is the full tick, all reads of flip flops are "random", sure, but tend to bias hi-input as a result.

has anyone figured out a good way to get a reliable read on the fast pulse? it seems like a lost cause to me.
    The basis of a proper flipflop is a rising or falling edge detector. We need one of those to make finite state machines reliable.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

Please upload that, I really want to dissect it.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Railman
    *Looks at gif*

LOL... Well its not for everyone! But the great thing about Starmade is there is so much more than logic! I dont have a building talent so I stick with building logic circuits! stick with what you do best then learn the other stuff slowly..

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score

[shiny lights]

That's a bit late, but you can try something like this:
    starmade-screenshot-0010.png
    The thing on the left is a rotator clock (it pulses roughly twice as fast as the usual delay/not clock), the thing on the right is probably what you want.
    When you press the button this happens:
    - the top flip-flop turns on, the first activation module (the bottom one) turns on
    - if the memory cell's flip-flop on the right is on; the top and-gate turns on; the second activation module turns on
    - the top flip-flop turns off then the bottom flip-flop turns on; the third activation module turns on; the memory flip-flop resets
    - the top and-gate turns off (or stays off depending on the initial state of the memory flip-flop); if the clock currently outputs true then the bottom and-gate turns on; the fourth (and last) activation block turns on
    - the bottom flip-flop turns off; if the bottom and-gate turned on during the last step then the memory flip-flop turns on
    - the bottom and-gate turns off
    then later when the button turns off all the the activation modules turn off successively

The key point here is what i described (set aside when the button turns off) happens at once. There's absolutely no delay or timing involved. in fact, theoretically 2 activations aren't needed (the first and the third), but without them it's "so fast" that there are race conditions on the and-gates and it doesn't work (i assume it's a bug, there's a similar one with or-gates, especially since they "work better" depending on whether they should turn on or off).

I attached the blueprint, if you want to make my rotator clock turn, make sure the flip-flop next to it is turned off and activate one of the 2 activation modules next to the rotator block. To debug/understand how it works, i suggest using flip-flop to see if something turned on (you won't see any flip-flop beside the memory cell's one or any and-gate turning on)

Attachments

Reactions: plusnine
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    I attached the blueprint, if you want to make my rotator clock turn, make sure the flip-flop next to it is turned off and activate one of the 2 activation modules next to the rotator block. To debug/understand how it works, i suggest using flip-flop to see if something turned on (you won't see any flip-flop beside the memory cell's one or any and-gate turning on)
    slick, thanks for the download. i will check this out when i get home tonight.