Overclocking weapons

Reaction score
    Its a very big problem now. Weapon systems have become weak since the weapons update a long time ago, And the HP update was the nail in the coffin for most things because now a turret has to literally shred a ship before it is defeated, so basic weapons like cannons and beams that had decent damage but only in a 1 block radius, So missiles became important, The high damage and blast radius made it ideal in the new updates, But then the devs improved AMS and now missiles are practically worthless too.

I dont know about you but wating 5 minutes for isanth to die from the turrets of a ship 10x its size is not fun, So i was thinking that maybe the devs could add overclocking, Basically if you have a very high power output or capacity you can boost the damage of a weapon by checking a box marked "Overclock system" in the weapons window. What this would do is make the damage higher for a period of time, And this would not be OP because while overclocking could as much as quadruple the damage, it would also damage the weapons themselves, The overclocking would reduce the HP of the computer and its gun barrels gradually over time. Eventually if the pilot does not stop the overclock his guns and the controlling computer will explode. Also if the power systems of a ship take a seriouse hit during an overclock it could cause a surge that would destroy the entire ship. So... only in emergenies but still cool.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Beams and Cannons have innate pierce and punch now, drastically increasing their damage to blocks per shot.

This is essentially a suggestion for a slightly stronger overdrive with significantly more debuffs. I'm gonna say no.

Reaction score
    Beams and Cannons have innate pierce and punch now, drastically increasing their damage to blocks per shot.

This is essentially a suggestion for a slightly stronger overdrive with significantly more debuffs. I'm gonna say no.
    Well it does make sense. If you ever need it you can instantly increase the damage by 4x, However you need to be wary because it is dangerous to use. But combined with overdrive it could be pretty powerfull

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't feel that this is really needed. My weapons at least already tear stuff up pretty well.

Reaction score
    I don't feel that this is really needed. My weapons at least already tear stuff up pretty well.
    But isnt there a joy that you might have to scoring a critical hit on a overclocking ship and instakilling it?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, thing is that by the time you start having weapon arrays of any real size, the cost of producing those arrays is essentially non-existent. Sure, your first ship or two might actually be constrained by not being able to make/buy enough modules, but after that the biggest cost in making weapons is the time required for your factories to churn them out and for you to install them.

With shipyards, there isn't even really an install time anymore.

Wouldn't really matter if you overclocked a weapon array and it instantly vaporized afterwards, as they are quick and easy to replace after the fight. Combine that with the power of alpha strikers as it stands, and most things won't survive long enough for your arrays frying to actually matter.

A lot of this "It takes forever to kill something!" is an intentional response to alpha damage builds that could completely eradicate a ship in one shot. Combat being made slower was what they wanted to happen, not an accidental side effect.

This rather defeats the entire purpose of slowing combat down by speeding it back up to "first person to fire wins" again.