Orders of Magnitude (Planets & Asteroids)

Reaction score
    Just a thought, but I feel that the current size of things is off a bit too much. I think it would be neat if the current asteriods were just simply called mini-asteriods, or micro asteriods and the current planets were instead called asteriods.

I would say bust the current planets up, and somewhat randomize their roughly (very) spherical geometry much like the current asteroids. This gets rid of the strange disc shape.

You could then implement real planets, that are very spread out and much larger. These could be an instanced area of the game that requires the player to load a new map essentially (due to their large size).

You could implement these instanced planets in different ways. If you choose to load the planets as a large flat world (with valleys and mountains and everything), one way would be to load a different portion of the map based off which cardinal direction the player approached the planet from. This way multiple factions could set up bases on the same planets, and there could even be atmospheric or ground combat.

However you decide to implement it, I think that instancing the planets is key. Honestly they very much need to be larger compared to the size of the player.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Just implement it with a heighmap and underground-entrances + chunks for all other blocks.

• Highmap is always loaded.
    • Chunks which are at least partially above the heighmap have a higher priority.
    • At UG-entrances, a few blocks are loaded.
    • Chunks are loaded where the player is.

Planets which you visit more often (at least 2 times), should not have to load from the server every time. Instead only changes should load from server.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Oh come on. Another \"make planets better\" topic?

I\'m not against sharing new ideas, but before doing that, please, do some research.

Bigger/spherical/round/whatever planets were suggested (sometimes more like requested) here many, many times. So if it\'s not a new idea, making new topic for that isn\'t much needed. Unless You have an idea how EXACTLY You think it should be implemented.

Like here:
    http://star-made.org/content/new-planet-mechanic-idea

Reaction score
    The entire point of my post isn\'t \"Make spherical planets, lol\".

It\'s about instancing the planets so that they can be larger. Why are the planets not large now? (regardless of their geometry) Because of rendering/memory issues. If each planet is a loaded, instanced entity (think minecraft) then you do not have to worry about those issues as much.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think bigger and rarer planets are already planned. The problem is how to implement them. Flat one-sided planets and planets in different dimensions, teleporting players as he close up, most likely (in my opinion) won\'t have a place in the future Starmade.

Anyway Your post brought nothing new to the topic of planets, as this was talked and suggested MANY times before. I gave You a link as an example where the OP suggests new ideas/solutions, so he created a new topic on the forum. If You\'ve made some research before posting, You\'d found a few other topics with suggestions similiar as Yours.

To sum up - there was no reason to create new topic as it doesn\'t bring anything new.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Instanced planets are a huge nono.

Reduces the ability for planets to interact with space dramatically.